Saturday was a very busy day for me, being the first day of our annual three day fest. I cam home around 2000 Hrs. and checked my mobile to find two missed calls from my mother.
My mother never gives up. An ex-assistant of a very famous Infertility Specialist in a Real-Big-City has recently become her neighbour and my mother had taken my file to her for a peek.
As usual nothing burning comes out from the file. But the fragmentation in the embryos seems to be the only clue. The doctor recommended a few tests.
My mother asked me to get the tests done. I told my mother in an equanimous voice that there was nothing on this front that I wanted to do in October - November. My mother told me that if I got the tests done at my own end, we would be able to take it from there in December.
I began to lose it really. See, my mother does not get the point. I don't want to do anything in October and November!
Next, my mother told me that the lady angel had advised her that lifestyle change really improved fertility.
So my mother has been after my life (for a little while now) that me and hubby must start Pranayam. As soon as I breather harder into the noxious fumes, my uterus will kick start into a whirring helicopter.
The Pranayam suggestion came out again last night. I was on a downward spiral already. I was exhausted and my raw nerves were frazzled.
I told my mother calmly that actually I had aready decided of a super fertility regime. [At this time my voice was still not revealing my irritation.] So I told my mother that I was already planning to introduce a regimen of Cocaine and Whisky for DH for about six months. I was sure that it would restore our sucky fertility in no time at all.
My mother was aghast. She was upset with me and asked why I was speaking like that to her. I told her, that there was no one else I could speak to this way because after all, she was the only one who was apparently so interested in my baby.
I told her that for the 50 right things that we had in our lifestyle, how could one ingredient be considered so significant as to totally boost or flip our chances?
My mother never gives up. An ex-assistant of a very famous Infertility Specialist in a Real-Big-City has recently become her neighbour and my mother had taken my file to her for a peek.
As usual nothing burning comes out from the file. But the fragmentation in the embryos seems to be the only clue. The doctor recommended a few tests.
My mother asked me to get the tests done. I told my mother in an equanimous voice that there was nothing on this front that I wanted to do in October - November. My mother told me that if I got the tests done at my own end, we would be able to take it from there in December.
I began to lose it really. See, my mother does not get the point. I don't want to do anything in October and November!
Next, my mother told me that the lady angel had advised her that lifestyle change really improved fertility.
So my mother has been after my life (for a little while now) that me and hubby must start Pranayam. As soon as I breather harder into the noxious fumes, my uterus will kick start into a whirring helicopter.
The Pranayam suggestion came out again last night. I was on a downward spiral already. I was exhausted and my raw nerves were frazzled.
I told my mother calmly that actually I had aready decided of a super fertility regime. [At this time my voice was still not revealing my irritation.] So I told my mother that I was already planning to introduce a regimen of Cocaine and Whisky for DH for about six months. I was sure that it would restore our sucky fertility in no time at all.
My mother was aghast. She was upset with me and asked why I was speaking like that to her. I told her, that there was no one else I could speak to this way because after all, she was the only one who was apparently so interested in my baby.
I told her that for the 50 right things that we had in our lifestyle, how could one ingredient be considered so significant as to totally boost or flip our chances?
I was upset that one of my tobacco-addict cousin has managed to impregnate his wife thrice and had a living son, with the wife electing twice to end her pregnancy. And a recovering druggie Cousin Bleep had two sons.
When I gave my mother the practical reasons why I should drug my hubby, my mother told me that anybody could have kids, but one also has to worry about the quality of the kids that one would bear.
"So, I would either birth Sant Gnyaneshwar* or none at all?"
My mother went silent. I went silent. I was choked.
My baby is so hard in the making because he or she will come out coated in Platinum while the rest of womenfolk only have sticky glue on their babies.
We did not end the call, my mother recovered and spoke of other things. I recovered and responded. I kept the phone. When I came back from my haze of thoughts, I found myself staring not in empty spaces, but the framed pictures of me and DH.
^WiseGuy^
*Sant Gnyaneshwar - a great Yogi and a revered spiritual master
*sigh* It's so hard when people just don't get it...and even worse when it's your mom. And for the record, I think cocaine & booze is a great idea. ;-)
ReplyDeleteYour baby is a wee bit longer in the making because it's going to be that wee bit more precious to you and DH.
ReplyDeleteMothers suck when it comes to IF.
Hugs
Sue x
Sometimes Mom's try hard to be there for us and to give us new idea's of how to get it all sorted. Sometimes it goes wrong. I'm glad you guys recovered the conversation and moved on.
ReplyDeletexx
Ahhh mothers. Don't they rock about TTC. Except, not. 'Cause mine has foot-in-mouth disease too. Not as helpfully as yours, more dismissive. Either way - grrrr.
ReplyDeleteI'm going off to try that yogic breathing shtick next week. I'll keep you posted on its efficacy. You never know...
:o)
It's so hard when someone has your best interests at heart but obviously just doesn't get it! I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteShe wants it so bad, she cannot see that she is smashing her heel into your face in her climb to get it. Some irony is twisted up in this because she most likely wants it in part because she knows that you want it and hates to see you in pain.
ReplyDeleteHow we hurt those we love when we want what we are not getting...I am so sorry that you are getting tromped on.
Oh, I'm sorry it came to that again. Our mothers are the ones to whom we should be able to confide and depend, but it doesn't always work out that way.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your mother. It's always hard when they think they're being helpful, when they really aren't at all... and they don't always get it.
ReplyDeleteFunny you should bring up the cocaine, as I can't tell you how many times it came up in conversation/tearful fits yesterday.
ReplyDeleteTell Mom she can call up mine and they can have a lovely little chat.
And I completely understand the concept of how you ended up staring at the pic of you and DH. I feel like we're a two man army against the world lately.
*headdesk* I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteOh ouch. I really don't talk to my mother about IF because I just get too upset. And she generally knows not to bring it up, but the other day she was all like "Well, you never know. So and so got pregnant after she adopted and she was told she'd never have kids!" I would have strangled her over the phone if I could since the only way I'll end up pregnant as a surprise is if I sleep with somebody else and she should know that.
ReplyDeleteMothers. Ug.
Moms. Here's to hoping we annoy our kids someday. [clink!]
ReplyDeleteEchoing everyone above . . . Mothers. SIGH.
ReplyDeleteI think what hurts the most is it is your ~mom~ - the one person who should know you better than anyone and have some sort of maternal instinct as to what hurts you the most. Apparently this isn't applicable to the IF realm.
It just sucks that substance addicts and other abusers can crank out kids like farts. Like I mentioned to Sprog the other day after she indulged in a glass of wine.... Wine cures all. And most people get pregnant after they drink it. Not fair.
ReplyDeleteMy mother was very pushy too. A devout Catholic, she had every convent of nuns in Ohio praying for my gonads, was saying novenas every day, asking for the intercession of Pope John Paul II, and begging me to visit some guy called ""Carmelo the Healer."
ReplyDeleteI know she meant well, but it drove me insane. She is sure our success was due to her efforts, but I know it only means we hit that lucky 3-4%.
Ugh. I've been trying to puzzle through why it is that my mom is also dropping the ball on being supportive through IF treatments. I don't know what the deal is, but I think maybe it some sort of circuit overload -- the attempts at being supportive just overshoot the mark.
ReplyDeleteSigh...mothers. Can't exist without 'em...can't kill 'em.
ReplyDeleteThe road to hell is paved with good intentions...and clearly your mom has good intentions, even though she doesnt seem to realise the impact of all this on you.
Glad you were able to communicate even after the event. I usually end up getting frustrated and wanting to end the call.
I was looking at a photo of DH and me during our wedding. Like bile, the thought rose up my mind - without warning. No one told me this was going to be so hard. I thought about leaving for a long long time. As the song says, I thought about leaving long enough to change my mind.
Sending you some hugs, S-ji. We just have to get there one day.
And when we do... its lines and booze for us!! (hmm yea)
ReplyDeleteIt's terrible when mothers just don't get it.
ReplyDelete