Figlia has again picked up the topic of death and dying these last few days. Since my MIL keeps asking her to not ask about "such topics", she follows me and asks her questions in hushed voices. Asking he to not ask a question is actually not such a great idea at killing the topic. Answering her is. But death is not an easy topic to talk about. So there is a neat barrage of questions she has:
Do I have to die?
Why should I have to die?
When will I die?
She has a theory that people live upto 100 years, and she keeps asking people their age lately, even the visitors to our house! Little do the people know that she is probably calculating how much time they have left. Her questions on dying go a bit deeper.
What happens to us after we die?
She has discovered the concept of body and soul, and that the soul stays even if the body is gone.
What will I become after I die?
What will they do me after I die (that is, with the body)?
She has been alternating between becoming a fairy or a butterfly after she dies. She asked me what I will be after I died, and I told her that I will just be a naughty spirit. So she asked me to please turn into a butterfly so that we can be together. She will be a baby butterfly and I will be a mumma butterfly.
I wanted to tell her that after we die, our spirit won't remember our physical identity. That the names we carry, and the memories we have, and the life we created, is all just left behind. But that is intriguing to say the least, and to answer her questions, I have to really think. I would rather be truthful than give her some balderdash.
Last night she was completing a class project and there she had to write names of her siblings. She had already written M's name, and then asked me if she could mention CBub. Of course, she could! She was so happy, and she wrote the name. And then came the CBub questions:
Has CBub become God*?
Why did she have to become God* quickly?
Will I meet her after I become God*?
*(Figlia has been told that CBub has gone to be with God)
I think it's much better to be up front with children in regard to death. Good for you for addressing Figlia's questions. You two will make beautiful butterflies. :)
ReplyDelete