Skip to main content

Beauty and the Tantrum Beast

Watched that movie yesterday (late) afternoon. Figlia and I had gone to the mall yesterday, and there were only two things mainly on my agenda - the movie, and a bit of shopping. 

What we finally did was an overpriced ride on a dolphin that rotated on its axis, the movie with the costly popcorn, and an ice-cream, and another ride. Before that trip got over, I stopped for a while at a store that essentially sells girls' dresses. Figlia had attended a birthday party the week before (invitation received two hours before the event) and hadn't given a gift yet, and there was an invitation for this weekend. I thought I could browse for a few nice dresses to give to the two birthday girls. 

Eventually, I picked nothing, and we came home.

Once home, Figlia turned back on her promise of washing her hands before settling down and watching her cartoon. When I pushed her for it, she began screaming that I never bought her new things, no new clothes, nothing. She was tired, and had missed her noon nap (that she rarely takes), and I wasn't ready for the yelling and her change of mood. She yelled at me, and at M (who was mimicking her, btw). 

I sent myself for a time-out, and sat in one of the inner rooms. I just wanted some quiet. 

When she had been yelling, I came very close to hitting her. But I don't want to hit her, and that is something I did not have to. I think some great parenting moment of "Aha" should have happened, but it did not. She apologized later for screaming, and whatever she has said, but I hardly think she registers how much stuff she has, and how advantaged she is to have what she does. 

Comments

  1. Remaining calm during a tantrum is difficult.
    Putting yourself in time-out is probably the best plan. But, you should probably revisit the topics when everyone is rested, fed, and calm (We always wash our hands when we get home. We are extremely fortunate and have lots of wonderful things and should be grateful for that instead of worrying about what we don't have).

    My daughter's nemesis is being dehydrated. She used to go from a generally lovely little girl into raging virago, just because she needed a drink. She wasn't thirsty, per se, so she couldn't just say she needed a drink. I had to figure it out from her insane behavior. So, think of Figlia as a puzzle - observe what triggers her worst behavior, because maybe it's just some physical thing that you can fix before it escalates.

    (The kid once told me, in the middle of a perfectly pleasant and cordial conversation, that I should move out of the house so she could live there alone. Her dad could go or stay - didn't really matter - but I had to leave. She was 3. And dehydrated.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.