(M) ~~ He is not being allowed to run outside the house naked.
(Figlia) ~~ She is being prevented from eating from M's plate, even though she has already finished her own portion.
(Figlia) ~~ "Will anyone in this house ever understand me?". [Well played, kid]
(Figlia) ~~ Because she feels tortured by being asked to pee every few hours.
(M) ~~ He wanted candy and was handed one. Unfortunately I completely unwrapped the candy and gave it, thereby causing ultimate sacrilege of his intention to unwrap the thing and then eat it.
(M) ~~ I am not allowing him to hit Figlia with his toy truck.
Figlia is extremely sensitive and intuitive, and very whiny these days. She puts my patience on test frequently.
M's naughtiness is matched with how he comes back with bruises here and there all the time. He had a bleeding lip last night thanks to him hitting a chair handle while trying to get down from it.
M is also far more finicky food-wise.
Figlia was called fat by a classmate, and she told me last night right before she went to bed, that she felt bad about being called that. I queried her on when she was called that, and was it repeated by others too. And I realized that she had been called fat a couple of months ago, but it was last night that she revealed that her mind had recorded the comment, and that it pinched her. I calmed her, and told her that she was in fact, taller than 80 percent of her class, and her health was her own matter and no one else's perspective.
Figlia, in fact, is also younger to most of her classmates by a whole year, and yet she is at par with them for every thing. She is doing well academically, recently won a colouring competition and is active in extra-curricular activities too. I can't be around for every social interaction she has with the world outside. The only thing I can do is strengthen her self-belief without turning her arrogant or close-minded.
I am afraid for this girl who mirrors me in so many ways.
Your posts make me feel like I'm reading about my own children lately. Hang in there hon, you're not alone in your struggles and worries!
ReplyDeleteI hate the skinny/fat nonsense. I try to keep the emphasis on healthy, but it's hard to combat THE ENTIRE WORLD. :( Oh, and several years ago, my charming daughter told her friend that she had a big booty when her friend did something to upset her. I blame my husband, who runs on anxiety and is, therefore, quite thin. He has set a bad example by a lot of his commentary about me - I'm not even overweight, but I'm not skinny either. And he mostly just does it to get at me. But it sets a bad example.
ReplyDeleteM sounds pretty typical for his age - you just have to find the humor in his rather annoying behavior. :) And hey - let him run outside naked once. Take pictures. Blackmail him later.
You are taking me back to the same stages and many of the same challenges with my kids.
ReplyDeleteI like what AYKM says in her last 3 sentences. Ha!