Skip to main content

Grow Up, M

So I belong to this group of mums who are in the same birth club as I am. Since everyone gave birth at almost the same time, our struggles often match even when they vary. We talk vaccines, diets and milestones. And yet, almost every mom thinks that their babies are growing up far too fast. I happen to also be the tiny minority of repeat moms. Almost every other woman is a first timer.

Me? 

I could not wait for Figlia to grow up fast enough.

I can't wait for M to get out of infancy. 

And then these feelings get amplified after two consecutive nights of disrupted sleep. Last night he slept at routine 7:40 pm-ish, but woke up half an hour later and did not sleep till almost midnight. And then, the night before he woke up 2;30 a.m.-ish and began to play! He slept only around 4 a.m.

Last night however, M's wakefulness made me spar with DH. 

DH was irritated about this guy's lack to desire to close his eyes, and I was upset because on normal nights, DH is awake at that time, either watching TV, or something on his laptop or sometimes doing office related work. So, if one day, it is the baby and not his recreational pursuit keeping him awake at that point of time, what is the big deal? 

But the worst between us blew up for other reasons too. I took a shower and went to bed at 9:30 p.m., when the baby was with DH in the living room. Grandparents are there, and I assumed someone will be there to take care. I was asleep, when DH woke me up to inform that the baby had pooped. My reaction was, "So?". I had been woken up because the baby had pooped? It is not like the diapers are in lock and key or that there are no adults who can wash dirty bums, right?

I did not rise from my bed. But then half an hour later, Mr. M began to get cranky. We again got him to bed, gave him milk and he showed signs of colic. As soon as we dealt with the colic, he became happy again, and started to play. 

By the time we reached bed, it was midnight. 

I do have a glamorous life.

Comments

  1. The infancy period is not my favorite. My girls are now sharing a room and keeping me up every night. Can't wait til everyone sleeps all night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you were awakened to deal with a diaper!! That is just ridiculous!! Good for you for not getting up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husbands! Argh! Also, Grandparents! I would have walked out, snatched the baby and said very loudly "I GUESS NO ONE ELSE AROUND HERE KNOWS HOW TO CHANGE A DIAPER." But I'm cranky like that and sometimes (when it can be very pointed) enjoy being passive aggressive. Your reaction was much better, but it didn't make EVERYONE feel guilty.

    And yes, my husband will also stay up til all hours working on stuff and yet was completely incapable of dealing with an awake infant at 3 am. He does sometimes, however, handle the 8 y.o. when she wakes up in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, that is one of my pet peeves when my husband wakes me up for a kid issue that he 100% should be able to handle himself. So annoying!

    I hope you get more consistent sleep soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been so upset at having been woken for a poopy diaper when there were other capable adults around (one being the other parent). I get wanting to be out of the infancy stage. With V I was good with it being drug out, although I prefer the interaction stage. With the twins I could not wait for them to sit unassisted and walk.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.