Skip to main content

And So It Was

I love my movies the way I love my books. I like to ruminate on messages in the books I like, the life of the characters, and the same behaviour transfers to movies.

Savior is one of my favourite movies. My understanding of the world's dynamics is pretty dodgy, so I cannot say or vouch for the veracity for the way the conflict was presented in that movie. 

And in the movie, there is a scene where in Quaid smothers* the infant because he is trying to not make a noise and get caught by terrorists who are slaughtering a group of civilians including the infant's mother. 

I saw that flick before I had children. And my heart raced the first time I saw that scene, and it goes wonky every time I have seen it, even though I know the outcome, and it is just a movie.

I can't get Aylan out of my mind. I have been reading and reading and reading about that boy. Right before the last time they got on the boat, he took a nap on the beach. I cannot get his face out of my mind. The naughty glint in his eyes is unmistakable. 

How poignant then, to be found the way he was washed ashore? How poignant to finally get buried in the same city from where they had first started to flee? To get back without any fear, for nothing worse (than this) could now happen. What will his father do?  

When I tried to talk about him in some of my circles of communication, I was mostly hushed. I was told that since our side of the world was not running out of misery either, why should we bring in further melancholy? 

How can we ignore?





*The infant survives, though.

Comments

  1. I have this scene from a book, a group of Jews in a train, fleeing from a nazi Germany, and a mother trying to hush her infant, so that they would not be discovered. And in the morning they find that the mother threw herself off the train, because she had smothered her baby. I choke back tears every time I think of that, I was so often unable to console my children and stop them crying when they were infants. What must she have gone through?!

    There is always something worse, or tragic. But that picture will haunt the world for a very long time. I've too got a three and a five year old, and it is impossible not to make the mental switch: what if it had been me and my children?

    The only answer I can find to this awful question is to go and look for something positive. It will not right the wrong, but it can bring a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days, the tragedies that happen to children are so overwhelming. Other days, I can't help but think that, aside from insects and bacteria, human beings are the biggest pestilence to ever hit this planet, so why do we care when a few drop off? It's not like we worry about the insects, and everyone is trying to stamp out the bacteria. We're unlikely to face extinction. I think I may be in a bad mood.

    I haven't see Savior, but I do think I read the book Mina is talking about. Or it's a pretty common theme - I most specifically remember it from an episode of the TV show M*A*S*H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.