Skip to main content

Spread Thin

That's how you would describe my patience - spread thin.

It takes all my grit, and steel and spirit to keep a check on Figlia. I don't want to keep check actually. I indulge her when she is doing the bits she is upto, but most days, she tries to push her limits. 

Figlia does not take "No" for an answer, and 'No' and 'Dont' have ruled our house for quite a while. In a first, yesterday she purposefully woke up the napping baby twice. One time, the baby had just gone down for a nap. It just made me want to pull my hair out. 

Today post-lunch, she spilled a whole glass of water on the floor and and danced cute on it. Then she took out her wet socks and neatly wiped her hands with them. Two adults were busy dissuading, but she just kept on with what she was doing. 

She refuses to go pee till they declare a national emergency on it. I have persuaded her, begged her, played logical, and not so logical, told her stories about what happens when one does not pee, and about 8 days back she got slapped because she would not pee, and I knew she had a full bladder (she woke up in the morning, and decided that there was no HtwoO in her that she wanted to release). I have coerced her and threatened her with punishment, and well, there is still a deadlock on peeing. 

Her school and activity class people tell me that she is bright and active and very responsive...that she does not harass them for things, and yet my daughter is just a bazooka at home. 

I told her dad on the phone what she did today, and when she came on the phone and learnt what her dad was talking about, she just kept the receiver away, and then told me that she was done talking. 

Comments

  1. Sending strength...at least the strength I can spare from dealing with my own strong willed crew. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you are actually doing very well, I would have totally lost it. We do have periods like that occasionally and I can't wait for that to stop. it is obviously attention seeking behaviour and the best would be to ignore it (according to everyone who some how manages to do so), but waking a sleeping baby? That would be major melt down on my part!! Sending love and strength

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! Done talking - she is hilarious. Well, when I'm half a world away and don't have to be the one to deal with her stubbornness, she's hilarious. I imagine you find it to be less so.

    It's always good when they save that behavior for home, rather than unleashing it on the world. That means home is a safe place where they feel comfortable taking chances. Frustrating for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably a combination of things: a move from her normal home, not having her father around consistently, a new baby and combine that with her age, seems like she is acting out because of all of it. My youngest grandson is 19 months old and takes a sip of juice out of his sippy cup then either sprays it around or spits it on the floor. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Hoping once you are back to your usual home and have some consistency, which is key, things will improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really... interesting... age. And very trying with major changes. Hang in there. I know it's hard, I really do... I have many days like that. Okay, EVERY day seems to be another hard day. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I just keep telling myself that it has to get easier eventually... or at least, not as difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.