Skip to main content

Shots of Whine: Daycare Edition

I hardly interfere with the daycare's working, care and handling of Figlia. She is well-adjusted there, they give her medicines on time, and she is getting fed, and changed, and is playing well. 

There are only two points in the past where I have "taken up" with them. One was that her napping was all over the place, the other was that I wanted them to be gentle with the cleaning when she had diarrhoea in December, because her bums were sore from rubbing.

However, I have two more issues now. Figlia appears to be allergic to the national birds of mention - mosquitoes. Once bitten, that spot becomes red, or develops a brownish scab, and the mark will go away in its own sweet time. And the daycare is in the middle of the swamp, I suppose. She has been coming back with bites regularly. One of her leg has got eight bite marks as of now. 

And the other thing which has arrived like crisis o'clock is that I have 'lost' eight pajamas in the last ten days or so. One fine day I noticed that a pajama appeared to be shredding on touch. You could just poke a finger through the fabric, and the cloth would part and tear off. And then I realized that hole-pajamas came out of the washing machine in tatters. 

We went through the possibility of rodents and squirrels. Was it happening at home or daycare? Why only her clothes and not ours? Why only pajamas and nothing else?

Since we came up with "I have no idea" time and again at home and daycare, and when the daycare staff said that it was only Figlia who was reporting such a thing, I was even more zapped.

Till I noticed another thing - the pajamas are also full of brown stains? Rust? Too much detergent? Acid?

They tend to collect the soiled pajamas in one place which is then placed in a plastic bag and sent home. If it is pee-soaked, they just remove the pajama and put it in the heap. If there is physical stuff attached, they rinse and then put it in the pile. This whole pile is then put in the plastic in the evening, stored in the back of the diaper bag, and sent back to me. I remove this pile and it joins our never-ending list of laundry load.

The only thing that clicked to me was that they keep lots in different places, so maybe wherever they are keeping Figlia's is a problem zone?

The daycare lady just got defensive, but it is not solving my problem. "It is only Figlia. Why only her clothes?'

We have no clue still. I can hardly replace the pajamas at the rate they are being torn currently, and I hardly feel that replacing is the best solution in the long run. Unless we can clue on to what is causing this, I have no specific plan of action.

I have asked them to change the place where they store soiled clothes.

Figlia goes diaperless for most of the day now, and she says "poo poo" only after she has done, but I am hoping that sooner or later, she will learn to indicate it before she does it. So going diaperless is still my desire. But if not diapers, I have to give lot of spare clothes, and this pajama situation is killing my options. 

Comments

  1. Our nursery is not allowed to give medicine unless homeopathic. Which sounds silly. But it is what it is and one learns to make do, similar to no shop open on Sunday one might say.

    The identification of poop is a great sign. She is very close to being toilet trained for real. Which is quite an amazing feat.

    The clothes issue is very weird. This is a time when thrifted items come in handy, there is no need for new clothes to be wee'd and pooped on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours is also not allowed to give meds, which was irritating when Gwen was on a thrice-daily antibiotic. I ended up giving it to her late in the morning before taking her out to daycare, picking her up a bit early and giving the second dose then, and then waking her up after she'd been asleep 2-3 hours at night to give her the third. Rather annoying.

    How bizarre about the pajamas. I wouldn't have a clue. Hope you can figure it out!

    Gwen has recently started tugging at her diaper when it needs to be changed, though when you ask her if she needs to be changed, she'll say "no" no matter what, because she doesn't like being changed. I'm slowly collecting supplies to do potty-training, but don't yet have a real impetus to start. Maybe in another month or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very strange about the pjs! are they cotton? It does sound like rodents though you would see holes, not just frail material. Bleach weakens the fabric too but if it never happened before that is unlikely to be the problem. Is this happening since you have removed the nappies during day time? But I think that if she is constantly wetting probably it's a bit too early to remove the nappy, but this is just my opinion! And I hear you on mosquitoes, they eat me alive in two seconds and for all of us here it is normal that the mosquito bites goes red and forms a raised spot, no? But it is not an allergy which would give swelling, and possibly mild temperature. Big hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since mosquitoes are the bane of everyone's existence, why haven't we figured out a way to kill them all off yet? I mean, in general, we're pretty good at exterminating species, so why not mosquitoes? We were outside for maybe half an hour or so and my daughter came in with about 10 bites. It's ridiculous!

    How strange that the clothes are disintegrating! Maybe it's just Figlia's chemical makeup - she might be producing a different chemical that reacts with her pajamas? Have you contacted the manufacturer(s)? Maybe they're designed to fall apart so you have to buy more. :) Good luck solving that mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thought on the pjs was bleach as well, because of the toll it takes on the fabric. No other thoughts on that I'm afraid.

    Ginny had a rough go with mosquitoes last year, with them swelling up to as much as an inch and a half across. I ended up having to doctor her a couple of times a day with benedryl (an antihistamine) to keep the bites in check. Thankfully, it seems to have been a phase or she has developed some immunity to it now, as the bugs don't seem to bother her this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.