Every evening, daughter and I rush out of our flat like ants out of a soaked ant hill (I am obsessed with ants.). And well, in an attempt to discourage her repeat begging to be lifted in my arms, I let her wander once we are down the stairs, rather than to pick her up/ or make her walk, take her to the park and deposit her there, expecting play from her. Of course, children rain down and my daughter fights off all that hugging, touching, prodding by running to Mommy and asking to be held.
So I let her wander. Suits me just fine. She plays as she pleases, and I get to supervise and intervene only at points of alarm. Sometimes, we even make it to the park.
The best thing is that 'pick me up' frequency has gone down.
A few evenings before, dear daughter added a new item to the list of 'Things my mother never thought I will eat'. She got down to her knees and bent her face in a thing I won't mention and munched in a mouthful of loose gravel. Epic spitting ensued.
Today morning, she addressed me by my first name. "What did you just call me?". She did not repeat it, but I was awed and shocked at the same time.
Two donkeys were parked right outside of her daycare (you are reading that right) last evening. Le girl calls them the same word she refers to dogs as. I was laughing the atoms out of me.
I have a pediatrician related decision that I made. I have been taking Figzy to this doctor ever since we came to UsualCity. This pediatrician was also the one attending CBub in her crisis time. Dr. T knows our history, and that I considered as a plus.
What has happened is that I am not happy with the medicines he administers Figzy. He writes a prescription for certain drugs, even when I have made it known that a certain drug was no help for Figzy earlier.
Enter another doctor, who we met on more informal grounds. He is a good doctor and his prescription for Figzy's diarrhoea worked fantastic. But the issue with latter doc is that he has an OPD clinic and is not attached to any hospital while the ped we usually refer to has facilities for hospitalization, if the need be.
Enter another doctor, who we met on more informal grounds. He is a good doctor and his prescription for Figzy's diarrhoea worked fantastic. But the issue with latter doc is that he has an OPD clinic and is not attached to any hospital while the ped we usually refer to has facilities for hospitalization, if the need be.
I cannot completely switch doctors, but I prefer the newer chap for prescriptions, and the other one for immunization and other details. The awkward thing is that I do not know anyone in my circle here who is using two pediatricians at the same time. Also, there are not too many peds in the city, so they are bound to cross each other's path.
If need be, there is little need for the usual ped, is there? Over here, the usual ped does what he does, and if we need to go to the hospital, the doctor in charge there takes over, no matter whom the usual ped is. I am so happy we moved almost 2 years ago, and as a result we have a new ped, whom we very much love. It is very important to trust and be able to talk to one's doctor.
ReplyDeleteOh, and the gravel thing: she is not as adventurous with real food by any chance, is she? Eating gravel... There is one way to learn how it tastes, and hopefully she will not repeat it. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW...donkeys???
ReplyDeleteStella called me "Jos!" the other day, and I said, "What?!" So weird!
ReplyDeleteI think it'd be hard to have 2 peds, just for continuity of care reasons. Why does it matter if the peds doc is attached to a hospital? If she needs hospitalization for some reason, it's not like she couldn't go to one, right?
My daughter enjoys calling me by my first name. And she uses a tone when she does it. It gets her in trouble frequently...
ReplyDeleteThe toddler years - where everything goes into the mouth at least once. Be prepared for more of that!
I would absolutely switch doctors. Mostly based on the idea that I do not plan to ever have my child admitted to the hospital...although you've already violated that one. Go with Never Again!
I think it would be hard with two pedis and consistency of care also. Here it doesn't matter who the pedi is, in an emergency or hospitalization issue, whoever is on call (not even usually a pedi) is the one who will attend. I don't know if it's different where you're at though. I would probably switch doctors to the one I felt more confident in (and it sounds like the prescription doctor is it for you).
ReplyDeleteI hate shopping for doctors or switching. We may very well do it for V, depending on how things go at this next appointment. It would probably be better to get a second opinion anyway. It's hard when you're unsure about things.
I do so love reading updates about Figlia.
ReplyDeleteGwen has recently decided she wants to hold my hand as she wanders. Since we're right now at a conference in a foreign building with lots of people, I'm more than happy by this development. But it's new enough that sometimes I don't immediately recognize that the grabby hand reaching out and opening and closing is not asking for a toy or a book or a piece of paper or my name badge, but for me, she wants to take my hand and drag me out of the room where we're listening to a talk so we can go wander.
I love it.
On the topic of "what they'll eat", earlier this afternoon the only way I could convince her that the wrapped bar of soap on the bathroom counter was not a cookie was to unwrap it and let her take a bite. She was not impressed.
Just a quick comment that there is a childhood condition around eating rocks. I don't know much about it other than it exists. Not saying it pertains to her, just saying.
ReplyDeleteI think you need to go with your gut. If her medical records are not electronic (as they are here, with my sons peds so he can see any ped anywhere and everyone can see everyone else's notes), then for continuity of care, you may want to consider seeing the alternate ped.
You need a doc you can trust and who listens to your input. Parents know their children the best and if you say something does not work, the ped needs to listen. Here, if you have insurance, you can only be "linked" to one main provider at a time. There is no option to do anything other than fully switch. Should you ever need the hospital, you WILL go and she WILL be seen by somebody. May never ever happen, so don't make that the deciding factor. Figlia sounds like such a fun kid. :)
ReplyDelete