Skip to main content

Help Me Tooth Fairy!

Figlia is pretty busy at home these days. So much so that it is possible for me to leave her on the floor with a sprinkling of her toys and manage to do my own work too, even with 852 interruptions in a five minute width. But it is possible for me to hold something in my hand and do two bits with it before she comes by pull it off. 

There is some voodoo on the table in our living area because every object on it begs Figlia to be slammed to the floor, and she dutifully obeys. 

My challengetticus is currently in the dental cleaning department. It's a kamikaze mission to rub her teeth with a finger, or a soft cloth wrapped on the finger. (I must have eaten razors during my pregnancy). So, I brought the modern advancement which is a toothbrush, but she does not understand what the thing is about. 

At the sight of the approaching toothbrush, she clenches shut her mouth, and refuses to part her lips.

All she remembers from her GI Jane training is that toothbrushes are meant to be soaked in bath water or for rubbing the inside or outside of the bath tub or cleaning the bathroom floor.

I had this brilliant brainwave to use my toothbrush on my teeth concurrent to handing over her equipment to her. She giggled and grabbed my toothbrush, and proceeded to soak both of them in her bath water. 

If she does not learn this in six months time, I am totally calling the cops on her. Amen. 

Comments

  1. Lol. She probably used yours to clean the floor, right? Kids know intuitively how to gross things up for us.

    We sing a song to them for their tooth brushing. Wichever song we choose gets repeated twice (once for top, once for bottom). It helps for some reason. Currently, the top ten hits include, the ABC Song and Fun's "We Are Young" (one verse/chorus plus another verse/chorus) depending on the kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At that age the best thing for us was silicone baby toothbrushes (there is one shaped like a banana and another from the same company shaped like a shark that were their very favorites, and trust me I tried every one on the market -- hopefully you can find something similar where you are). They would gnaw on the toothbrush as a teething toy and in the process get the teeth clean on their own.

    Plus, they do not look at all like toothbrushes so she may not make the connection with the hated GI Jane kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started toothbrushing around 9 months? 10 months? I don't really remember now, it was sometime last fall. We were lucky, she took to it immediately, loved having the brush in her mouth and chewing on it, and lets me manipulate it in her mouth enough for me to feel it does some good. She's actually pretty good at doing actual brushing motions if I'm brushing my teeth at the same time and she can copy me.

    The next hurdle is to introduce toothpaste, which we'll have to do soon, since her new daycare wants both toothbrush and toothpaste sent along with the child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we also started early - around 9 months or so, and at the Time Timothy didn't know any better - and now he's used to it.

      I am sure if you gently persist, she will give in. Just like Timothy started drinking water, after resisting it for a few weeks.

      Delete
  4. Haha! Mine loves his little toothbrush... I usually brush his teeth as the final thing before he goes to bed (and I often forget). Maybe it helps if you put some baby toothpaste on it...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I started brushing my girl's teeth until I started letting her eat candy...which was after she had all of her teeth. She never really cared for it, and sometimes I would have to sit on her to get it done. :)

    When my nephew used to play drop the item and watch it bounce on the floor, my sister would say "Oh look! He's learning about spatial relations!" I would laugh and say "Nope. He's testing how long he can get you to pick it back up!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still (at two and a half) have problems with toothbrushing. If I let her brush, she will mostly suck the toothbrush (we do have slight progress lately, though. slight). So it's mostly me brushing her teeth, as much as she will let me (hint: not enough).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.