Skip to main content

Bye Bye Guests

My parents leave tonight. I have had some or the other sort of company at home since 24th October. 

Figlia had the doting-grandparents attention all this time that my parents were here. They would stand outside the door to wave her goodbye when she left for the creche. She would be taken from my arms when I came home. Most importantly, there was someone who would make and pour the tea for me at home when I came back. Even more significantly, I was not worried at all about how she would fare, given that I kept longer than the normal working hours for the last few days. 

I must admit, I feel especially bad for a couple of days after my mother/parents leave. I get so used to support, that as soon as the net is withdrawn, I feel even more 'stretched' than before. 

Figlia is now randomly picking up words from our conversation and repeating them. No, she will not say them if we ask her to. One word, once in a while, and a whooooole lot of babbling is my daughter's language.

Massage is our common favourite time. And she waits for my count of ten (which is how we end the routine), and squeals at 10. I am doing it in two languages, and even though I am sure that the ten in both languages sound different, and she must not be able to numerically equate the two, but she squeals at the other 10 too. 

And I can't finish the post without the obligatory remark on sleep. *yawn*. She has pushed her sleep time thrice to after 9 o'clock in the last week or so (I don't want to push memory buttons on the week before that). But she will wake up for once or so about half hour after she has slept. She now keeps crying at random intervals during the night. The crying is not protracted, but she keeps seeking me for soothing her. 

And I do not care about her permanent runny nose. I just take care to keep her clean, but I am fed up with cold medication which is a big flop with her. 

She has been coughing since morning today. Now that will make me give her an antibiotic. God help me.

Do I need to mention that I will be feeling especially lonely tomorrow morning, now that I will be alone with her after a while? 

Comments

  1. Current research in the US says that cold medicine doesn't work on kids under 6 (possibly under 12) anyway. Kids metabolize things differently than adults.

    Do you jump up for soothing when she starts crying? Oh, never mind - she's still just a baby. When she's over a year, you can let her work it out for herself. Meanwhile, keep hopping! She still needs you. :) Who needs sleep anyway?

    She's may not know what 10 means in either language, but she does know that it signals the end. She sounds like she's going to be a smart girl, if she's already making word associations!

    Hope it doesn't take too long to adjust to the lack of doting grandparents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect teething. Timothy also wail through the night - he would randomly scream/wail, without even opening his eyes, most of the time not even waking up and settling down on his own. I go in only if I see him open his eyes on the video monitor. Otherwise I try to remain calm. I suspect that by going in I will wake him even more. I don't see why he would cry like this if it's not teething. I doubt at this age they can be having nightmares?..

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOod luck with the transition as your parents take leave. It can be bittersweet -- their help (and tea-making) is gone but you have your space back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try focus on the positive. And just know that every phase is just that - a phase.
    Wishing you long restful nights and no running noses or anything else cold-related. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun about her excitement about 10!

    Gwen is also in the throes of a cold/teething, a few nights ago I was up every 1-2 hours to soothe her. Poor baby. She can't blow her nose, she can't breathe and suck on her pacifier at the same time, and then she cries and everything gets gunked up more. I actually don't mind getting up during these periods as much as I do when she's feeling OK, since I know how grumpy being sick can make you, and if I can make her feel better, it makes me feel better. But here's hoping that Figlia (and Gwen!) are both better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.