Skip to main content

A Long-Short Distance

My IVF attempt was sacred to me. It was like the ultimate fishing net I had cast in the ocean in the hope of a catch.

When I had my embryo transfer back in 2008, in my lone IVF/ICSI cycle, they gave me a pic...of three embabies supposedly nestled in my uterus. I kept that picture in my bag. The attempt 'failed'...in fact, for a while, and sometimes now too, I consider it a miscarriage. 

If you read my posts from after the episode, that word has figured in the text. The status of the outcome of that procedure was always suspect in my mind. And because I like to trust my instincts, I have accepted the dubiousness of it. When I am all rational, I label it implantation failure. Otherwise, it is a 'maybe' in my mind.

Anyways, after the failure, I would randomly pop out that singular picture of the embryos that was in my bag. My bags changed, the picture remained. Initially, the reason was 'oh my bleeding heart', and then it somehow became a default.

Then the picture began to fade.

The picture is no more there in my bag. The picture is there in my mind.

I was nursing Figlia today when I thought of the picture and how religious I had been about preserving it.

I think the reference came to my mind, because someone from the clinic has been a subject of dialogue between my mum and me for the past couple of days.

And suddenly, I feel better. I feel better to have shrugged off a weight on my shoulders.

I am happy to have left that cloak of disappointment behind. I am glad that I did not have to heed to the offhand remarks that were made, that in a way, my own beliefs about my body were reaffirmed.

Everything that happened actually swam back on the surface. I was told that why I did not conceive was my weight. Oh wow. Well, to tell you the truth...I am not obese...I am definitely overweight, and am bottom heavy. I was told this repeatedly, but I did not really believe that to be a primary driver - maybe secondary, but not primary.

One of the things my then-doctor asked me to consider post-outcome was using donor eggs - this was completely wth for me...there has to be definite basis for such a recommendation. I have so far not come across any donor egg blog where the author hasn't mulled over the loss of genetic connection with the child...I was mentally not prepared to even consider it.

Today I am here...and today I have travelled from that far of give-up-your-beliefs to arrive to this point.

I am lucky. This is lucky.

Comments

  1. Lucky indeed.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If luck was dished out on a merit based, the world would be a just place.
    As it is, the world is far from just.
    But when you get lucky, the world is a better place.
    I am happy for you and your luck. Sometimes good things happen to good people as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every now and then we think back to our little group of frozen embryos from back in 2008, how loved they were, how my husband would wave to them (their building) on the way to and from work every day. How when we moved we hated being over a thousand kms away from them. They were our real children in our mind, in our hearts.

    For a long time, even mildly now, when they were born, now that they are here and alive, and watching elmo, it feels like some distant war, a memory that is both distant and not distant at the same time.
    (

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it's like a background noise - it never really goes away, but the sounds of life mostly drown it out.

    I'm glad that you have been so lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of small memorial-type things that commemorate my lost ones. They will always be important to me on some level, but I don't cling to them as I used to. As areyoukiddingme said, it's like background noise, there but not as prominent as it once was.

    And while I don't often think in terms of luck, I think it's important to recognize our blessings. And we have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you didn't have to grieve that loss as well. So lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written as usual.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.