I am not a member of the Healing Salon. Go here if that is where you intend to be. I am writing this post 98 percent for my own sake. I can't answer all the questions.
Somehow, I feel like a culprit having joined PAIL. The entire thought of divisiveness for me on Mel's post was not because of what Mel wrote, but because people seemed to be either attacking or defending....there you go, we were definitely standing at opposite sides.
I wrote two comments on her post, and I am going to place them in toto here:
I am not reading the comments on this post, before I opine (But I am itching to do so.)
I went on PAIL…but I did not really mean to offend or create some alternative universe for myself.
I am happy being on your blogroll (I think I am listed under unexplained infertility). Or I am listed by my old moniker/blog.
I have never felt alienated because I am now mothering. Never.
I never left reading blogs because the authors were pregnant or parenting, and I think that will NEVER EVER be the cause for my quitting reading a blog.
I just thought that it was another listing, and did not really see some big negative coming out of it. Obviously, I did not really think it thaaaat deeply as you have.
I would never quit your blogroll or stop hanging around SQ.
Now can I go read the comments. I am sure they are more persuasive and better-put than mine.
I never meant to create an alternative to you. That’s it. It never ever crossed my mind.
xo
---
Okay, I just read the comments.
a: Ouch, don’t hit me with that pitchfork…that hurts.
And Mel: I have never ever underestimated the work you have done in the ALI blogosphere, and what you continue to do.
Also, well, the contention that those who joined PAIL was because the normal ALI blogosphere was not serving them….I can’t accept that for myself. I just thought it was a great way to connect. I have signed up for PAIL, but I haven’t signed up for everything that it intends to do. I do ICLW, CDLC and Show and Tell with you, but I can never do Grateful Said – not because, I don’t get awesome comments, but because I get too many awesome comments. Similarly, when I went on PAIL, I really did not consider too deeply if I would be involved or would like to involve in everything that is stated.
I am very sorry for this. I don’t think I ever wanted to offend you. And please don’t generalize about why people went on PAIL.
There are so many activities that are hosted by several bloggers in the blogosphere, and so many people participate. I never figured that Elphie’s activity would be considered colliding.
I just want to say a few things in my regard:
1. I have never stayed away from pregnancy blogs even when I was TTC, even when I was floating somewhere in the havehope abyss.
2. I will not shy away from commenting based on someone else's success.
3. I did not quit visiting people after I crossed over.
4. I DO NOT FEEL ALIENATED. I don't feel unsupported. I am happy to be here, with all of you.
5. I have never felt out of place because, 'uh, I am a mum now, where do I go?'. I have not felt the need to start a new blog. This is my place. This is where my memories are!
And just one thing, with the kind of language that was used on Mel's posts (the comments), why do we create a hullabaloo to those who leave stupid comments on mainstream IF related posts? There is one thing to not agreeing, but the jabs taken were a little awful sometimes.
Wow a second blog on this PAIL list. Would you believe it, I didn't even know it existed. one thing I can say is that I am receiving maybe one 5th of the comments I used to receive when ttc, or when pregnant. Should I check out this other blogroll or just go to private blogging?
ReplyDeleteI am, so out of the loop, I read about PAIL on another blog then had to go investigate, then came to the conclusion that I'm still out of the loop.
ReplyDeleteI do read some infertile blogs still, mostly just women who I have known for years, some of them are parents, some are not, but I still read. I don't go looking for new infertility blogs because for the most part, I don't have much to offer.
As for the whole PAIL thing, maybe I will go look, maybe I will join, but, my blog isn't really a parenting blog, yes I was/am infertile, yes I am a parent, but, I don't blog very much about either topic.
As for IRL I do not fit in with the other mothers.Not even a little bit, it's a bit of a sore point for me.
I guess the one other thing I need to add is that I don't really like strict mommy blogs, if someone is talking about their experiences/feelings, then I like that, but those that just give a report about their kids milestones don't interest me.
ReplyDeleteWow. You wrote a lot of what I was thinking! I did not know about PAIL until this dust up, but my thoughts are similar to yours. I have now joined it, specifically because I see it as yet another resource. Not a replacement. Never felt totally out of the community, but never totally in either, as I started my journey in the community as a secondary infertile.
ReplyDeleteNadine, I have been a mother for 13 years, and I have never been able to fit in with real life mothers. I have better relations w online peeps.
ReplyDeleteGood to know I'm not alone!
DeleteWell said my friend!
ReplyDeleteCan you send me a link to PAIL?
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree that it shouldn't have become the 'ouchy' mess that it has become.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who did/still does feel at times that my presence in the ALI community is no longer deemed appropriate, I have struggled with where I fit.
I don't see anything wrong with a community within a community. It's impossible to connect with everyone and like is always drawn to like.
i have to admit, i'm not exactly sure what's going on, but i support whatever decision you have made.
ReplyDeleteI've read about this, read the post, I did not go too far into the comments though... I'm really not understanding what happened exactly. I'm just not seeing the issue I guess?
ReplyDeleteYou're so sweet. :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree, this place is you.
I finally got to see the video on the computer, the tablet is useless for that. She sounds priceless. :-)
I'm with you - my blog isn't really an IF/pregnancy/parenting blog. It's my STORY. And the people I've connected with are my FRIENDS. I don't see them as parents/infertiles, etc. I wholeheartedly agree with Mel's last line. This community was to build bridges, not moats.
ReplyDeleteI was late to the fray--which I am happy to stay out of.
ReplyDeleteI actually feel a bit out of the ALI world in general, except for those I already had relationships with, since I have been back in single life and have no plans to become a parent and no plans to start the process.
I can definitely see how this whole PAIL thing caused such a storm of emotion for so many.
I don't know how I missed this earlier, but I saw you referenced this on Moxie's and had to come see. I agree with you. My blog is my journal, too. When joining PAIL, my intention was just to connect with others--as I've done many other times before. I was totally unprepared for how my doing so would be received. I guess I didnt think too deeply about it either.
ReplyDeleteMany hugs. (for the record, we were at the same place again tonight! Strange that we done that twice now!)