I want to address some of the comments plus the fact that what inspired the move to formula + breastfeeding.
- Figlia was put on my bre@st the second day post-birth, and guess what she took to it, immediately.
- I was 'helped' plus given Regl.an initially to establish lactation.
- Figlia seems satisfied with the nursing. But she tends to sleep while feeding, and sometimes, will just not take a full feed inspite of having been at it for a while.
- Even though she continued to wet diapers/nappies about 5 - 6 times a day, she stopping pooping regularly. In the initial days, it could happen as much as 3 - 4 times within a day, but lately it had gone down to once in two-three days, and that too would happen sometimes with help from suppositories...and well there was crying and crankiness all the time.
- Figlia has physiological ja.undice, and it will disappear only with weight gain. It should have happened already, but given the fact that her weight gain is not as super...it is taking time....if formula can help her pack the pounds, it will be so good.
I must admit that I was shocked to be told to supplement. Totally shocked...eventually, as Figlia would have grown up, I would have added dairy, and eventually other food to her diet, and that would have reduced her dependence on me for the feeding. But it would have happened naturally and at my call. I was not really prepared to supplement before I was in the mood to supplement.
Like I said, I was pretty blown to know it. But as a couple of days have passed, I have realized that I am ready to accept it. I won't feel guilty over this. I will not. I know that if any guilt remains, it may take me to a place that seems a little dark to me.
You are so right not to accept guilt over this. You are watching her so closely, paying so much attention, you are in tune with her and her needs. I am thankful that you have the support of a medical system and access to formula to supplement. The core of it all is your love for your daughter and that is not changed one bit.
ReplyDeleteI think if you didn't add formula, if you choose to not supplement for your own ego(and I don't think you would do this, but I have met so many women who are starving their children so they can brag about how they are "breast powered only and how fabulous they are"- meanwhile they children are failing to thrive) then you should feel guilty. You are ensuring that your little one is healthy, continues to grow and thrive, you are listening to health professionals and ensuring that she becomes as healthy as possible. That's the right thing to do.
ReplyDelete(and in Canada, I always got the judging bitchy moms who were horrified that I supplemented with formula- meanwhile their children were way too small!). Anyway, hope you don't encounter all those breast crazed women- they bring out the crazy in me.
There is nothing to feel guilty about. You are doing what Figlia needs... and that is motherhood.
ReplyDeleteDon't you dare feel guilty. You are doing what's best for your baby. And that's the only right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteOf course you don't have to feel guilty! The most important thing is that Figlia will grow healthy and strong and if you achieve this, independently on what milk you give her, you are doing a damn good job. Love, Fran
ReplyDeleteNo guilt, no guilt! You keep doing what you need to do to feed your sweet little girl. We're here for you either way. xoxo
ReplyDeleteJaundice is a bitch. George had it and he too needed supplementing. He got over it just fine and returned to breastfeeding only. Good for you to ignore guilt, guilt is evergy draining and you so don't need that. Plus, why should you feel guilty, for feedng your daughter, doing what is best for her?
ReplyDeleteBest of luck and rest when you can. :-)
do NOT feel guilty or let anyone else make you feel guilty, you've gotta do what is best for you and your baby and if that includes supplementing or using just formula, then so be it. you are doing a GREAT job.
ReplyDeleteA well-fed, happy, non-cranky baby is the goal, isn't it? This is a case where the ends justify the means.
ReplyDeleteI had to supplement for weight gain issues as well. It sucks, but a happy kid is the goal. And my supply was utter crap. You are taking care of your babe. Which makes you a great mama :-)
ReplyDeleteYou're right...don't feel guilty. You're a great mom and doing exactly what your baby needs.
ReplyDeleteI supplemented almost from the start. My supply was just not enough in the evening. Then when I went back to work, pumping was so stressful, I feel lucky I managed to do it for a month. But guess what, regardless of her formula intake, I managed to breast feed for a little over a year. Absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. She's getting your awesome mommy milk, but shes just also g
ReplyDeleteThat should have said:
ReplyDelete... but she's also getting some good extra calories.
You are an awesome mommy. Hoping she starts working on a double chin soon!!
ReplyDeleteOf course you shouldn't feel guilty! You're doing what you need to do, and who cares what anyone else thinks. I hope she gains good weight and the jaundice clears up soon!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're not feeling guilty.
ReplyDeleteKeep in mind that the supplementing doesn't have to be forever. If your supply remains high and she figures out how to get full feeds from you, you could always go back to just nursing after she has packed on some pounds and gotten rid of the jaundice.
I was just telling Burrito today about how when he was a baby, he used to poop only every 4 days, and by the last day he'd be so cranky. Now he has gone the other way, and he has 3-4 poopy diapers every day!
The main thing is her well-being. Don't let all of this theory about the importance of bf ruin your motherhood experience. There's more to it than the way your baby is fed. Millions of people were bottle-fed, and feel no worse for it! You're the best mom for Figlia. Never doubt it. Never let any guilt in!
ReplyDeleteYou don't owe any of the BF Nazi's an explanation! You do what is best for you little girl, doing anything LESS than that is reason for guilt!
ReplyDeleteI know that feeling of having things taken out of your control. I was all game for breastfeeding and then when it simply wasn't happening, I was so upset and disappointed. But in the end, doing what you child needs and watching them thrive is the best reason to follow through on whatever route you need to go.
ReplyDeleteCertainly don't feel guilty-it is very hard to have things change before you're ready. :( I HATE jaundice. I did want to mention that after my third daughter was a couple months old she would only poop every 4-5 days. I found out it's normal for some babies. It did concern me at first. But back to the breastfeeding/formula-you are doing what you have to for your baby and that makes you an awesome mommy!
ReplyDelete