Yesterday morning, I went for a routine appointment with SuperGyn...the routine weight/pulse/BP taking got done, and she asked me to get a doppler done. Midway through our conversation, she asked me if I would like to volunteer for a session on obstetric ultrasound (similar mumbo jumbo) and I said yes to it. I got a couple of follow-up stuff after the oral agreement. The consequence of this volunteering is that today afternoon Season would star in a session at the conference.
But there have been a couple of important points discussed in the meeting. SuperGyn appeared happy with my net weight gain. A couple of tests will be repeated over the course of next few days, and most importantly, I asked about my possible D-day. Much before this pregnancy happened, I had a preliminary talk with SuperGyn over how soon to try, what to do in the next pregnancy and all that. That time, heparin and 36 weeks etc were discussed.
I did not have to go on heparin this pregnancy, but she is still asking me to take 36 weeks as the cut-off. Because all that there is, is just a theory and no exact cause for what went so fatally wrong last time, she wants to not take any chances this time around. I will be going in for daily monitoring as soon as I hit 32 weeks, will take the steroid shots in due course and we will work with a target of atleast hitting 36 weeks. If I go beyond that, it will be a premium, but it is not a guarantee.
I am aware that the closer I get to the actual EDD, the higher are Season's chances to not deal with effects of prematurity, but I remain cognizant that I can't compromise on his/her overall well-being just for the sake of going full-term. And the NICU here is well-equipped.
I am also aware that the skies hadn't exactly gone green as a warning sign for me that something was wrong with CBub. I have to take an acceptable middle path.
Makes a lot of sense to get Season out as soon as it is safe to do so. Glad you have a doc you trust, and really happy to hear you will be having daily monitoring once you get to 32 weeks. There are so many of us pulling for you!!
ReplyDeletemo
Whatever it takes to get Season here safe and sound, right? Daily monitoring sounds a good way to this goal.
ReplyDeleteI hope and pray everything goes well.
As the previous posters said... healthy baby, healthy mom are the primary goals here, and it sounds like your doc has a good plan in place. If the NICU is required, then that will be something to be dealt with when the time comes.
ReplyDeleteLike so many others, I am praying that these last few weeks go by smoothly and calmly for you, and that Season's arrival is low key and uneventful. Or at least as uneventful as a birth can be. ;)
While I hate to think of Season being early and spending any time in the NICU, I'm glad that all factors are under consideration. 36 weeks as a target sounds good - and maybe when you get there Supergyn will re-evaluate. Either way, they're paying close attention and that is good.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan that has been thoroughly weighed. Kinda cool about volunteering! So, will Season be a movie star?
ReplyDeleteI think it's perfectly reasonable. Most babies born at 36 weeks do just fine. Does your hospital have a protocol for what babies are actually automatic admissions to the NICU? Where I work if a baby is 35 weeks and weighs 2100 grams, it can go to full term, but if it's 35 weeks and less than 2100 gms, it will go to the NICU. Where I delivered, I think less than 37 weeks is an automatic admission to the NICU. I'm just curious if you know your hospitals protocols on that?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the appointment went well and you were able to talk about the plans. How far along are you right now? I'm hitting a blank!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure these are tough decisions for you to make, and especially in view of the fact that you don't have a clear diagnosis for what happened last time. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one. It sounds like you are in good hands.
ReplyDeleteWhat happened with CBub was a total anomaly, and 36 weeks is JUST shy of full term. I know you are in good hands and that in a few months you will be holding your sweet baby, happy and healthy, in your arms. I have to believe that for you.
ReplyDelete