I spoke to my Director y'day. I am taking a year off. I was in knots about whether he would permit such a thing (the long leave) plus I am not too keen on publically 'revealing' as of now. And I can't just walk to him one Thursday and say - 'Hey Dude, you won't be seeing me for a while, beginning tomorrow'. I definitely can't call him a Dude and get away with it. :-)
So, I have set a date in July first week, and I would be off for the whole year (two semesters) from that date.
He signed my application and when I told him about not being public with it, he said that I should hold on to the application till couple of days before I leave and then give it to the admin. He knows about when I will go, so he would not be taken by surprise.
The thing is, this would be unpaid leave, but I am not too worked up about it. I can claim 90 days pay later when I join back (as promised by my Director).
The only thing for which I am feeling a bit guilty is that when I leave, my responsibilites will get redistributed and I know that it won't be welcomed by whoever gets to shoulder them. Plus, I am leaving my students early. I will finish their syllabus and tests, but won't be there to guide them through for certain assignments and projects, and I can't tell them till the moment I leave, that I am going.
And I am leaving for City X mid-July, where I will remain for the remainder of the pregnancy, and the delivery and bringing the baby home (hopefully).
I am so glad to hear this news! It is such good self-preservation for you to make this decision and I really hope that it gives you a sense of peace and serenity that you would not otherwise have had. The stress of research thesis and students on top of everything else - it would just have been too much!
ReplyDeletex
Doing what is right for you and this baby is worth every bit of it! Your students are important, but someone else will help with their syllabus' and tests and guide them to the next step in life... you need to do what feels right for you and this baby to get to the next step yourselves!
ReplyDeleteI think that is a fantastic plan- to take it easy and nurture the bub. So glad your Director is allowing you to do this!
ReplyDeleteI think you're doing the right thing and what is best for you.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a good plan. I can relate to the feelings of guilt leaving work like that, I had to leave my own job early on this time, but you have to do what is best for you right now (*hugs*)
ReplyDeleteStill thinking lots of positive thoughts for you.
One load of stress off your plate - excellent plan. I'm glad your director is so understanding. Maybe you should try calling him Dude next. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan Elsie.
ReplyDeleteYou do what you have to.
xxx
after your previous experience you definitely need to do whatever feels right for you and baby. people will just have to understand.
ReplyDeleteGood plan, sod the money aspect and do what you need too xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful way to be as easy on yourself and your body as you can for the next year! So glad that this is going to happen :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome news!!! I'm so glad you are doing this! <3
ReplyDeleteFWIW, I think this is a good thing to do for yourself!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a GREAT plan. I love it. And it sounds like your director is OK with it too. Do it without looking back.
ReplyDeleteGood idea. I never went back to work after Hope died. Yes, it was a struggle financially, but I saw my job as "grieving" and I wanted to give myself over to the process. Then, like you, I had a new life to nurture. I was lucky, I was still getting paid some maternity leave so it made the decision a lot easier, but I don't regret it for a second, and I don't think you will either. Jobs will always be there. This is such an important time in your life.
ReplyDeletexo
Oh my. I'm only just catching up on your posts. I want to scream my congratulations at you but then I also realise how premature these things can feel after a loss. So instead, please know I'm thinking of you and really hoping this pregnancy ends with lots of love and peace.
ReplyDeletexx
Sounds like a good plan. And don't try to feel guilty, you have every right to do what's in your and the baby's best interest. People will understand (and if they don't, too bad for them).
ReplyDeleteYou do whatever is best for you now. And what you have in mind seems to be a great plan. Any plan that has as motto 'let's bring home baby' sounds great to me. Glad to hear your director goes along with it. I hope you'll be able to keep up with the blog. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHugs.
Sounds like a good plan! All the best!
ReplyDeleteHello hon! I'm sorry I haven't dropped by for a while. If I had, I would have known your news - congratulations! Try not to worry about the clomiphene, SuperGyn sounds a bit uptight to me and where does she get off calling you casual? It is totally understandable that this pregnancy sneaked up on you the way it did.
ReplyDeleteYes, good decision to take a year off. Spend the time nurturing yourself, and the little one you are yet to meet. All will be well. Much love xx
Kudos to you for taking time for YOU...time to prepare emotionally and physically. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteI am so, SO glad. Sounds like a perfect plan, for you & for the munchkin. Relax and enjoy this time.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. You have been through so much. I hope this time off is very healing for you, as well as being restful.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you will be able to take the time off that you need. Hope it is everything you need it to be.
ReplyDelete~Suzy
visiting from ICLW
Thanks for visiting my blog...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have a good plan in place. I understand, complete, the guilt at leaving students and of feeling like you've left your responsibilities - but after what you've been through, you and your own health and the baby's are most important.
I'm going to be thinking about you :)
I am so very glad you are doing this for yourself.
ReplyDelete