Skip to main content

Fallout

Lola's passing (which is not how it was meant to be, God) has left me conflicted. I am evaluating and realigining myself with entities around me. More than that, my relationship with myself is under fire.

I may or may not admit it, but I know what my strengths and weaknesses are. I also know my vices and what ticks me off. If I were some sanyasi, or trying to become a refined individual, I might even have made the effort to become a better person. I am not.

But I was not prepared to disintegrate or devolve into a bitter person. I am not a jealous person, even though I am a jealous person. You get a big car, I might want a ride but I won't think of getting a bigger car unless I need it.

But, if you get a bigger piece of the chocolate cake, I might say 'Darn it!! Why do I always get the smaller piece?' and actually not think bad about thinking like that. I just don't don't don't want to spread my jealousy to anything more than that piece of cake.

During a certain camp, I managed to drop my breakfast on the ground. There were no more sweet buns remaining and so I got none. All my life since that day, every time I have had a sweet bun, I am always reminded of the sheer disappointment I felt that day and it is as if I am still trying to compensate for the bun that came on my plate but not my mouth. I just don't know where I am going with this but I see a pattern in my personality here. The future holds my further trysts with the golden fertility that I have, but I will crave for Lola always.

I had notions. I had plans.

It was not the big things, but rather the smaller details that now hurt me. We do not dress a newborn in new clothes. Clothes borrowed or handed down are used. No shopping is done for an infant till it is born, and in the 'baby shower' for the pregnant lady, the gifts are for the woman rather than the new individual about to arrive.

I got these really smart clothes from a SIL and I was hung on a certain dress and cap and all for Kaiser/Lola. With all the gifted clothes, I also did some shopping of my own for the little one I was hoping to bring to my world. If Lola would have been able to not get into the NICU from the nursery, she would have worn those things I wanted. Instead all I got from the hospital which was hers was this tiny yellow top she wore.

I look at the top and I still cry. I don't know what went wrong. Today so many people complete their shopping before the baby comes, and yet nothing wrong happens.

With whatever happened, the fact that I am taken aback is the given, but what kills me more is that it allows people to say what is asked to not be done before and I did.

My relationship with Birdman has turned x notches warmer. He has turned more attentive and attuned to me. It is as if the grief has brought us closer. I did not want Lola's going away to have been the cement.

She tied us in ribbons and left.

We have conversations that I seem to forget in their literal wording, but it always makes me feel that he cares. I am still not able to wrest out answers to more than a few questions from him. The reason being he snaps shut after a while, or gets irritated over why I keep hovering again and again on certain points. The detail that appears small to him, is not small to me. It completes a picture that I am so desperately trying to make.

Comments

  1. Thanks for coming by my blog and taking the time to comment. I came here for the first time when I heard of Lola's arrival - I felt a flicker of fear for you when I read she was in the NICU. And then I was devastated for you and couldn't stop thinking about what you must be feeling after finding out she died.

    I think of you and Lola often.

    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are no words i can offer to you bell that will make everything 'alright' or 'better' but i would encourage you to keep writing, to keep blogging, to get 'it' out there, out of you.

    you have such a big supportive community that is needing and wanting to rally around you to help you through this and if reading your words and just nodding in agreement, in some slight understanding of what youre going through helps you in the remotest of ways, im sure we'll nod all day and night.

    i suppose i just want you to know that i appreciate this, you telling your story in such a raw honest way - i only wish you didnt have this story to tell.

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to hold you in my thoughts. Keep writing.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le bon Dieu est dans le détail. Her tiny yellow top will not always bring tears, but it will always be precious taonga. We are here, walking alongside you, hearing her story. Arohanui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetheart - I hurt for you and can't imagine how much you are hurting. I will always be sorry and very angry for you.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think of you so often and, if anything remotely positive can come out of this hell that you're living in, well, for that I'm thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holding you in my heart. Keep writing, get all your thoughts and feelings out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs. This should never happen to anyone. Thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for writing... You know my words... I'm here, today and always, and sending loving thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to continue to 'hear' from you. I think of you and Lola often and hurt for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are continually in my thoughts. I know how different (and yet somewhat the same - we both unexpectedly lost our newborn daughters) our situations are, but a lot of this resonates with me. One constant theme that I have seen in my own grieving, and that of so many other BLM's that I have met on this journey, is how differently we may grieve than our husbands. It IS different for the mother. You wrote "The reason being he snaps shut after a while, or gets irritated over why I keep hovering again and again on certain points. The detail that appears small to him, is not small to me." Just remember that though a detail may appear small for Birdman, it may just be too difficult for him to express what he is feeling AND to feel that he is remaining strong for you, and that could be why he is snapping shut. I wish you and Birdman didn't have to know this type of loss. It is just so unfair. Remember that every action, even those that he made that will never make sense for you, were ones that at the time he thought were the best way to love you. Just like these conversations in grief, he may think that remaining strong rather than delving into how upset/hurt/sad he is is, is also the best way to love you through this. Praying for you both, and of course, sweet Lola who we all so love and miss with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, think that men grieve differently ... we struggle to find language for loss, where they sometimes need answers, and where none are forthcoming, they become silent, loving in that silence. I wish you didn't have to go through this; I am holding you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It makes complete sense to me that the details are what haunt you. We don't love in the grand scheme of things, we love in the everyday, the nitty-gritty.

    Holding you close, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just wanted to tell you i still think of you and lola every day. you did so well with her story. my hubs and i got closer after we lost our babies, too. i hate that it happened because of their loss. but it happened that way and at the time i was just glad there was someone i could talk about my twins with who also felt his own kind of pain at their being gone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are and will continue to be in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  16. The loss of a child can cause such dramatic responses for a couple... for the good or bad. I'm glad that you and Birdman have found a way to draw closer to each other through this, I just wish it didn't have to happen this way.

    Much love and many hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think of you and Lola daily (usually multiple times), and I hope that it helps, even a little bit. Hugs and hugs and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You all are still in my thoughts and prayers! {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I wish you could have those answers.

    XXX

    I think about you and Lola every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Twice a week I go to weigh a baby who is very tiny. The street before his is Lola Dr. I always think of you.

    I worked in a NICU. Your daughter had so much going on in that tiny body. She must have been a fighter to hang in there for 3 days. I am so sorry they couldn't fix her little lungs and heart. Thank you for sharing her story and letting us honor your little firstborn princess.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have emailed you, and really don't know what else to say that isn't repetitious for me.

    Missing Lola with you - life after her death is more like "anti-life". I wish I had some words that would comfort. I hope you are comforted by the fact that you are not alone, and that we are all thinking of you and Lola.

    Love
    S

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you're continuing to write. I think of you so often. As others have said, everyone processes grief differently, particularly men and women. This post by Mike Spohr explains its very well from his point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking of you, of Lola, of the Birdman. The thought of the tiny clothes that should have been hers is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think our brains always seize on the small things and use them as a conduit to grieving.
    I've had this mental debate about when to buy baby clothes many times, though I have not actually gotten past the first trimester of any pregnancy yet. I think in the end, its a good idea to buy anyway, because for that one blessed time when things go right, you will regret it bitterly if you had not.

    I think you are an utterly amazing person and I'm so very sorry you are going through this hell.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You and Birdman continue to be in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lola is teaching a lot of people a lot of things.

    Many people react to grief by shutting themselves in. I am happy Birdman is not like that.

    I wish you did not have to rediscover yourself this way.

    Thinking of you.

    Many hugs,
    Mina

    ReplyDelete
  27. "She tied us in ribbons and left."

    I think that is the most heartbreakingly beautiful phrase.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nope- not meant to happen. Not for a reason. Its unfair, its awful and it defies any attempt at anyone to pretty it up.

    Reading and holding you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have no words to give you. I'm so sorry for all that has happened and all the fallout from that. Thinking of you often and sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.