Skip to main content

That Decision

Do you remember that one flipped out evening led me to a decision about which I said I would speak later?

I guess now is a good time to say what it is - Where to give birth?

Home Birth? I am not for it. So, it would definitely be a medical facility, right? The question is - where?

The city that I am in right now, I cannot consider too many options as available for me. Dr. BS though has a better equipped private hospital than most others around here (and it has a NICU, huge plus). So hers was the place I wanted to give birth in, if I were staying back here for the D-day.

The city(City X) where I now plan to be for the D-day is where my parents and in-laws are. I will go to stay with my mom for the delivery. And a few days post-birth, will visit my in-laws. And then return to my current abode. Oh joy!

Why am I taking that longer path - the second alternative?

My mother* would have come down even if I had decided to stay on here. But here she would be no more than an attendant. She has little acquaintance with the people around here(that is, the medical community), and she would be just a spectator.

If I go to her place in City X, my mother would have the take-charge position. She had already told me that it would be comfortable for her to do it this way. In City X, she knows the hospitals, the concerned management, the staff, the chemists, and she has better access to everything there. Plus, even for contingencies, City X's medical facilites are notch better than the prissy city I am in right now. She has a couple of friends who are very good doctors, and I could be under their care.

I do not mistrust Dr. BS, but if I insist on staying here, the village will have to move to the hut, and if go with the second decision, I would be affording ease for a lot of people. And Kaiser would be in definitive good hands.

There is a non-medical issue associated here though. The level of freedom and comfort I possess in this home is way higher than what I would have to contend with in City X. Here, I have built a life and routine around my convenience. That convenience would be missing in City X.

Plus, I will have to move around with the baby, which I would not have to, had I stayed on here. Plus, I am sure that some decisions about my future (as in decision to keep working) will be actively discussed by my in-laws and all.

Simply saying that I would now like to go back to my city would have to be very tactfully put forward. I do not want to elaborate about it right now. I can't talk about it unless I pull in specific characters from my life into this discussion, and I would much rather avoid it.

Life isn't simple, that's all I say.


^WiseGuy^



* My mother is an OB/GYN, for those of you not in the know.

Comments

  1. Wow, that sounds way complicated. Sorry hun :( I wish things were simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send you an email, because I've got too much too tell you. AGAIN... Full of assvice am I these days. i am not so slowly turning into an obnoxious mother who knows it all and her way is the best. Somebody stop me. Or at least shut me up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one oof the hardest decisions. I would love a home birth, but costs and laws make it sketchy, so...hospital it is. We actually switched OB's basrd on hospital policies, so...that's how we did it. You have a lot more considerations in that area, so my question to you is...where will you be most comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I left my daughter two times during the first six weeks after she was born. Once to the grocery store and the other was to my 6 week post delivery check up. :) Wherever you stay make sure you aren't going to go crazy and that you'll be able to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck figuring it out and I hope and pray people don't take your decision personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a tough decision to make. It would be nice to know that your mother (and the whole medical team!) would have your back in the event things didn't go as planned. Your mom would be a great advocate for you.

    But I remember coming home from the hospital and wanting to be HOME with my new family. It would be tough to spend those first few weeks away from the home you are preparing for Kaiser.

    It will come to you what is best for you and your family. Stick with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try not to drive yourself crazy about this decision (as I would likely do).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.