Skip to main content

It's You!

It was my niece's second birthday on March 29, and we took a trip down to be with the birthday girl.

The party was on the terrace and we were busy decorating the area. Sometime in the commotion, only three people remained on venue: me, DH and my niece who was at-it (a balloon had burst, and she had been upset).

You see, there is a staple question I bombard my hubby with at random moments, and watching her, I put it forward again:

'What if we do not have kids?'

'We will always have her.' (finger-pointing at a running kid)

'No, but what if we never have kids?'

'I already have a kid.'

'What? Who?'

'It's you.'



I started laughing. Hard.

The moment had passed. Husband dear had survived the question yet again. (And with a great comeback, I must say!).

I love my niece very much. It is just that when she was about to have her first birthday, it reminded me deeply of how I should have been pregnant.

Now as the years are simply fusing, and she would keep on having her birthday again and again on the same date, I have nothing to do but to pick up my sorry feelings and get over it.

And you know what? This year I was better already.

But, I feel bad about associating her with something unfulfilled.

In a way, I also feel happy that atleast her being there has taken off some of the steam that was building up about kids inside the family.

I am not a prime-target of Mount Bump Watch, because everybody *sigh* expects me to be having a lot of trouble in that department.

I am not having trouble. I am just not getting pregnant. There is a difference, if you know what I mean.



^WiseGuy^

Comments

  1. It's tough when you can see time passing in such a concrete way. Your DH had a great response to your question, tho... absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your DH is a very smart man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nieces and nephews are a bit of a mixed blessing for those of us who do not have children but desperately want them. Though the blessing is lopsided to the positive side, I must add.

    Love your husband's comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a difference wise woman, I'm glad for you that her birthdays are easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome comeback from DH. I am so glad you did better this year and just think next year will be even better I just know it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your DHs comeback, lol.

    And yeah, "I am not having trouble. I am just not getting pregnant. There is a difference, if you know what I mean." Very profound statement there, and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "But, I feel bad about associating her with something unfulfilled."

    I feel this way about my nephew, but yet, I can't change it.

    And there is a difference. I, unfortunately, am tending toward the other side of the difference these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see that even a wise guy like you can be surprised with a line. And your husband's was great. It's a couple of words like that that make you all mushy inside and feel alive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your DH's response!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one DH! Though I understand your point about associating your niece with your unfulfilled desire - it feels so close, the joy so palpable, it hurts so much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an excellent comeback on your DH's behalf!!!!
    I'm also the only non-breeder in my family, it's easier now that the 'others' have children as the grandparents are looking less in my direction and asking less question. Takes the pressure off doesn't it? But it also adds new pressure because you have these beautiful neices/nephews who stand as a reminder of what we don't have. Bitter sweet, yes. But more bitter than sweet if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.