Skip to main content

I Lied...Oh, How Smooth Am I?

Her: So, how many years has it been? (Reference: Married Life)

Me: Almost six years!

Her: Wow! You don't look like that at all. So, you must have a baby?

Me: Nah! But we are thinking of planning for one now.

Her: ....Smiling....

Me: ....Smiling....



^WiseGuy^

Situation: Casual chat with a new joinee...we had travelled together overnight to attend a meeting at some place.

Comments

  1. Sometimes it is easier than explaining your whole history. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tres smooth. And like Kristin said, far easier - especially with a colleague you don't know well.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About comment moderation: Some Chinese person posted random Chinese characters on several posts...blech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it really is just easier to let them think that we have never thought about it or are just at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would enjoy the fact that well "you don't look like that at all" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, simplicity! Excellent execution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you handled this wonderfully.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And your blog doesn't hate me anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job!
    I didn't realize that after five years, one simply MUST have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to kill her on your behalf, but yes, you were very very smooth.

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that it's sometimes easier and more appropriate to just give any answer but the one that's true. I always had to decide whether or not it was worth getting into.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey..SO I totally lurve you and the fact that you always leave me uplifting messages..so you have a surprise waiting at my blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always amazing how someone thinks they are simply asking a casual, non-invasive question, and it cuts through us like a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very smooth ;) Such a casual question, but such a wallop. Why is it supposed to be a "casual" question anyway, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done!!

    For me, the acting didn't end after we had our son. Even today when talking about our current pregnancy, I can chat with strangers/acquaintences and laugh like 1) everyone, including myself, can get pregnant whenever they want to and 2) when you are pregnant, you will definitely have a live, healthy baby on or around the due date.

    Here's to faking it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Score 1 point Wiseguy. I'm totally stealing your idea, but will always credit you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work! You always handle situations with grace. I love that about you!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep, that was a pro response! Better to lie and keep it simple then actually tell the truth. Once you start with the truth there are SO MANY questions that follow so you never know when to stop and lets face it, most people don't want the truth anyway as it just makes them feel uncomfortatble. (I just stumbled upon your blog today, hope you don't mind me peeking in). Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tagged you for a blog award!

    http://elanasmusings.blogspot.com/2009/10/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heh- lied, really? She assumed. She made a judgement about how our society ususally plays out...

    You ommited. You didn't elaborate.

    Totally acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fake it if you can't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice!

    BUT I agree with Cara, you didn't lie, you just didn't tell the whole truth.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Echoing what a previous poster said: "Always amazing how someone thinks they are simply asking a casual, non-invasive question, and it cuts through us like a knife." And then they think they know everything about us...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such an innocent question. But always a loaded one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. FUCKS sake....

    it is the smiling (hold smile, keep stare) that I know so well. smiling. it really becomes a grimace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.