Skip to main content

Good Intentions...There Be No End to You

My MIL's brother came visiting an hour back. His son is about to be married (one of the two major family weddings scheduled this season) and he was out and about distributing invitation cards to the wedding/reception.

He asked my mother for tea. And when she got busy, he assumed his this-is-a-great-thing-I-want-to-tell-you pose and began:

"Chuck out everything you have been doing. Go to the Big-City. Go. They have
the best doctors."


Yes, Okay. Alright. How can I chuck out everything? Who will give me back my five years?

[A little history though: This fellow lost his first two sons post-birth, (born living but died within five days of birth) and the third one survived with great difficulty, but survived. The factor was that wife was Rh negative, or something like that and it was managed in the third try, which was in the Big-City. But that was in the 1970s!]

He loves me and he cares for me. And he did not mean any harm by saying it, but what he suggests has little merit. He is one of the few on my in-laws' side who is constantly enquiring about my thesis/publications and such.


^WiseGuy^

Comments

  1. Good intentions (with a side of not-knowing) have morphed into hurtful words (again).

    So sorry--and I am taking your no-compulsive-posting advice to heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to take someone's advice with a grain of salt. Even when they do mean well, it doesn't always make the hurt feelings go away.

    Thinking of you.
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is almost harder to here those things from people you know care. {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuck, good intentions, but still. and it's hard to know what to think, considering that it does sound as though he cares (e.g., asking about your professional life). people just never know what to say...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The road to hell is paved. I almost hate the good intentioned comments more, because you can't get angry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing at Io's comment above. Seriously though, sorry for that, he did mean well, but doesn't lessen the feelings does it? Sorry I lost your blog when i lost my bloglist, yeah you are there again and I am here again. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very nice that he is wanting to share their success with you... even though as you say, it's not really applicable to your situation. I'm sorry you have to deal with assvice, but I'm grateful you have such caring people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family comments, no matter how well intentioned, always sting the most.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats the worst, when we are forced to smile through painful words because we so love those saying them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First Art of Living lesson from Punde (coz you asked) - excuse other people their mistakes. When you understand that their mistake is not intentional and it is a mistake just like one of your own unintentional mistakes, love them for it. When you are agitated or heightened and you want calm, breathe deeply in and out several times and as you exhale expel the air forcefully while saying hmmmm! Peace comes swiftly.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes - good intentions and unsolicited advice are abundant. After five years, do they really think there is something you haven't heard of or haven't tried?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.