Skip to main content

Show and Tell: From the Dog-Eared Archives of Favourites


This show and tell, I have something really exciting to share with you - two poems that are very close to my heart.

The first one has fury-unrestrained of a broken heart, and the second one is sensuous, and very much so.




Poem I – by Anna Akhmatova – You Thought I Was That Type


You thought I was that type:
that you could forget me,
and that I'd plead and weep and throw myself
under the hooves of a bay mare,

or that I'd ask the sorcerers
for some magic potion made from roots
and send you a terrible gift:
my precious perfumed handkerchief.

Damn you! I will not grant
your cursed soul vicarious tears or a single glance.
And I swear to you by the garden of the angels,
I swear by the miracle-working ikon,
and by the fire and smoke of our nights:
I will never come back to you.



Poem II – by Orhan Veli Kanik – Spread Out


She's spread out;
Her skirt pulled up slightly;
She's lifted her arm, one can see her armpits;
And with one hand she's holding her breast;
I know, she thinks nothing
Evil by it,
I know;
Neither do I;
But how can a person,
A person lie like this?



I hope I introduced you to two poems, you would love to keep.

The rest of the charmers are here!

^WiseGuy^


Image: Ariadne by John William Waterhouse; Available at - http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/pictures/ariadne-1898/

Comments

  1. The imagery of both those poems is so evocative. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely.

    Though my heart beat a little faster when you said two poems...I thought they would be yours. :)

    And I hadn't told you, I like the new design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like both poems!

    Okay, so I get a little behind on commenting and I come back and you're all fancied up!! I like it! Kick me for being a slacker would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poems. Such incredible imagry!

    And I LOOOOOVVVVE John William Waterhouse! I have a large framed print of "Lady of Shalott" in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poems - thanks for sharing them. I don't generally choose poetry to read, so it's nice to have a good introduction from someone who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lot of passion in both poems. Love it. The second one is just o-la-la!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love poetry, thank you for sharing with us these passionate works. I loved them both, but most especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice poems. i really like the second one - and the picture that you posted... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  9. love them....now i have to go to the jump.. :)
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful poems, thank you for sharing.

    I really like the 1st one...

    (Love the new look, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the second one. The last line is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - awesome!!! The first one is my favorite... gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.