On the heels of my inordinately lengthy post on traversing the doctor jungle, comes this inordinately lengthy post that puts into words, dreams that I have had, and which I have found as directly connected to my fertility.I did not begin by thinking that dreams are messengers, nor did I ever go for scientific long-drawn analysis of what I saw while asleep. Readers of the blog, who have been reading it for at least a while, would know that I tend to remember what I see in my dream, or atleast the important dreams stick around in my woken-up state as well.
As was the nature of Good Doctor Hunting, this post is also an effort to tie down all the different dreams that I have had, and the ones that I still have in my memory. And do read the post in your leisure time, not in a hurry.
Maybe some of you would be able to explain me some symbolisms or meanings rooted in your cultural background.
*** My dreams border on the bizarre side. Skip the post in case you are too sensitive, can’t handle negativity, or queer ends. ***
2003
Dreams connected to Fertility? Sugarcubes, gah!
2004
The beginning! I remember that it was Shraadha-Paksha. I do not remember whether I was still on contraception, or was recently off it.
I dreamt of running on the ground that was right behind my school building. The grass was very green, and I found a Shiv-linga lying on the ground, and I wondered how come it reached there? I was chasing a small girl. Next what I remember is a half-constructed bridge over a sea. Tall pillars supported the bridge. The girl I was chasing, kept on running and reached the end of the unfinished bridge, and jumped into the sea. I took a bus and got down at the end. I kept shouting for her. When she did not come out, I too jumped into the sea.
2005
Dreams connected to Fertility? Sugarcubes, gah!
2006
Dreams connected to Fertility? Sugarcubes, gah!
Seriously, there is nothing remarkable I remember except for shooting darts in the dark and having all misses and no hits.
2007
Darn… memory box of dreams is empty. Can’t recall anything, not yet.
2008
‘Twas the night of February 13th; I had a dream so vivid, that when I dreamt that I was crying, I woke up with wet eyes. I saw a friend, dropping her daughter ‘Mini’ off at my home for me to take care of her for a day and a half.
The home where she dropped her? The one from which my parents had just shifted – the home where I spent my blundering childhood and teens. Who else was there to take care of Mini? My brother, whom I have not seen in almost 20 months then, because he was studying in the US. He scooped up Mini in his arms, and I realized how good he was in caring for children. I bought Mini to office the next day. The scene for handing over Mini to me was City I. The scene of me bringing her to the office was set in G. I made Mini sit in my office cabin. The office cabin was new – and I was not as yet accustomed to it as I was to the previous one.
I visualized colleagues fawning over this sweet little girl. And one of my colleagues complimented me that I could make kids so comfortable. That was when my eyes watered. My dream broke. I woke up to the early morning dimness and switched off all thoughts. God does have strange designs.
Again, in the dawn-hours of November 21; I saw one snake and two hares hunting for prey - the hare were flanking the snake on either side. I was sitting on the floor in a room where I was observing them at a close distance. I am not a snake lover and I was scared looking at that hissing snake. The room was from an old home we once occupied. A large part of my school and college life was spent in this home. I am not too sure about what they were hunting. The hare were grey and the snake had a shiny leopard-dots skin. At this point of time I was woken up.
2009
Night of March 2; I dreamt that I helped a lady in delivering a baby. It was a normal delivery. The woman was in labour and I refused to do it, but the male companion of the woman asked me to deliver it, since I was a doctor's daughter and had some idea of doing it, to say the least. It was a male child that I delivered. The setting was the old house that once I and my family occupied - the house I grew up in.
I remember using the back door of the house to come out. It was dark, perhaps late in the night, but lights were on in most of the homes and people could be seen. Then I observed the tree that was there in a nearby compound. I remember the tree, it was a very tall mango tree, that had almost taken a shot at kissing the sky with its height. The tree had branches and leaves on only the top 30 percent of its length. Another person that I recognized from my real life told me that the tree was evil. I remember seeing the tree, and feeling the coldness and darkness enveloping it.
Sometime in June-July 2009;I saw that I was pregnant with twins, both boys; Doc told me that one of the baby was dead inside, and had to be taken out. I was in the hospital to get the procedure done. The setting of the dream was broad daylight, and the operating room was very bright with intense sunlight coming in. My dead baby was born smiling and appeared full-term. I continued the remainder of the pregnancy and the other baby stayed healthy and completed term. The healthy baby was delivered in the same room, same setting as the other. But this baby was not smiling.
^WiseGuy^
P.S Image Details: Dream City by Paul Klee [Watercolor and oil];
Image Source: http://virgo.bibl.u-szeged.hu/wm/paint/auth/klee/klee.dream-city.jpg
I don't know whether to blame it on hormones or on all of the thoughts tumbling around in my subconscious. I do know that since TTC, my dreams have been so vivid. Not the kind of dream where you waking up thinking, "That was weird" but instead sit straight up in bed, gasping for air.
ReplyDeleteThose are definitely interesting dreams. I have no idea what the symbolism might mean but they are fascinating.
ReplyDeleteI have dreams that leak over into everyday life too. Mostly disturbing ones. I have little idea what mine are about let alone what yours are, although most of mine are anxiety-rooted.
ReplyDelete"I woke up to the early morning dimness and switched off all thoughts"
ReplyDeleteHmmm yeah. Can you do a cheatsheet on that and email it to me? Its a trick I've always wanted to learn. How to switch off those in-the-dark-of-the-night thoughts. Because what's insane actually seems real.
there is a lot of symbolism in those dreams. lots of anxiety and guilt (chasing a girl, allowing her to jump into the sea, compliments that you would make a good mother, realisation that perhaps when you do have a live child motherhood in its practicality may make for an unsmiling reality).
And snakes are of course the most obvious of fertility symbols. Your fear of the hissing snake - perhaps symbolises your fear of everything ttc related and the unknown. The hares hunting the snake - perhaps you and Mr Wiseguy trying to conquer infertility, and it fights back. (and bites no doubt). The future is unknown, which would explain the dream had no ending.
[I have no medical basis whatsoever for even saying all this. but I did a lecture in my psych course, so sometimes, shit flows out of my mouth like diarrhoea.]
And for the asinine, 1. why do people call their children mini? There was this massive girl (she was bigger than me, and I's big!) in my boarding school in panchgani called mini, and it was totally ... BLEH. 2. heh. contraceptives. kinda like going to hell and feeling stupid for being an atheist or agnostic.
x
S
Very vivid dreams. Sometimes my dreams are so life-like I have later wondered if they actually happened. Sometimes they are like this and so surreal that I could never confuse them for reality.
ReplyDeleteI have no wisdom for you here, other than it is obvious that your IF pain is wrapped up in them.
The snake and hares one and twins one are especially haunting.
Oh my! You sure do have vivid dreams. I like what S said about your dreams. I was thinking that the dream about a girl jumping into the sea had something to do with your IVF cycle? I don't know the time line, so I could be off base.
ReplyDeleteI love dreams, even the horrible ones. I don't love to have them, but I do love to try to make sense of them. It's like a puzzle!
*HUGS*
I have very vivid dreams as well, and I remember many of them. Sometimes they seem to be just random bits from the day (often I will dream about a commercial or tv show I saw while falling asleep) -- but often they seem to hint at my inner struggles.
ReplyDeleteI think the best question is, what do the dreams mean to YOU?
I find it really interesting to hear about dreams. I can recall on one hand the number of dreams I have remembered so far in my life. THe last was just before I found out I was pg and I was nursing a child.
ReplyDeleteWish I could help you sort them out but I don't know much about interpretation.
Of these I only recognize the snake as the most obvious fertility symbol. I often dream of them too.
ReplyDeleteWow, that last one was very strange.
ReplyDeleteI honestly don't know what to make of that, except that even in life the sadness never totally goes away. Even when we attain our dreams, the things and people we have lost along the way are still mourned, maybe? Very strange.
I am curious as to what you think it means, because often it is ourselves who can make the most sense of them.
Hmmm, maybe we need a dream interpreter ot comment here? (;
ReplyDelete