Skip to main content

Don't Irritate Me

This is not likely to be a classic post on Infertility in Media: A Story on Stereotypes.

No Sir, since my shallow self is out right now...I better not look for clay in the quicksand that my mind has become..

Day before yesterday, somewhere in the evening, I froze on to a TV Show (a four-times a week soap), which I catch very rarely. Anyways, guess what the lovely story was...

Woman preggers by elder bro (her then spouse)...hubby dies and baby dies in an accident...woman now married to younger bro and is preggers again... Husband alive but the baby dies inside the uterus....Next, the drama peaks when the doctors reveal that this woman has lost the ability to conceive/carry to term any pregnancy (becoming pregnant could be fatal for the mother)..


Oh hell! No more progeny...the family will die with its current people and nobody will carry the family name forward...hell...doom... death!

Guess what the obedient now-p-nownot-p woman does...

she hires a woman to tempt her husband like a nymph, into her bed, in the quest of procuring a heir for the family, [a child that will fill the courtyard with his pooey diapers, get sucky grades and get bullied by all the chuckpots around]...

What? What century is this?

Considering that the show is prime-time, and has not been phased out yet, I guess there are loads of families drinking on the story.

There are no IF treatments?

Women who are barren, become useless - A dead wood for the families that they are wedded into?

Barren Women have no children and must lose the love of their life to women who have a working apparatus?

There are no options at all in case a woman can't bear kids....I heard a whisper called surrogacy ....

There are donor eggs...


A man does not have to sleep with a woman to impregnate her...

Serve me the truth....


Making a Freak Show out of infertile women is so pinching!


Listen!


^WiseGuy^

Comments

  1. No kidding: that is awful. It feeds into public misconceptions about infertility, surrogacy, donor gametes ... and I could go on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's mindnumbingly hurtful. exactly why I don't watch tv. its perpetuating the myth that just because we cannot conceive naturally, we are less 'woman' than 'woman'. Procreation is deemed to be our raison d'etre and if we fail at that, we are failures as women.

    Well, fuck that, I say!

    there was an ad on tv tonight (normally dont watch tv, but DH was watching football and I was reading on the sofa)... on 60 minutes, a gay couple went to india "the one stop shop for surrogate babies"... the very phrase pissed me off. the media is in a feeding frenzy with this surrogacy / india thing.

    to end with some humor... "A man does not have to sleep with a woman to impregnate her..." - this is too true. the last time I had sex with the male was over a month go, on april 4 to be exact, and he's shooting blanks. so there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should ALL write a post about this show and then send them all to the company. THEN they would know exactly how much smarter they COULD be! Happy ICLW!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, talk about behind the times.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. television makes me so angry sometimes, what a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* I don't miss much about tv. Especially the fake but anger raising drama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that is rough...I hate it when IF issues aren't presented in a factual manner.

    *ICLW*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why am I not surprised by this? I have yet to relate to a story of infertility in the media or hollywood.

    Will they ever get it "right"?

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband (of all people) has a daytime soap opera he can't stop watching. He tries, but somehow it keeps sucking him back in.

    Anyway, anytime I an unlucky enough to catch a scene or two I shake my head with disbelief. Fortunantly, they aren't working the plotline you mentioned or else I would have put my foot through the TV by now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even know what to think of all that! :) How awful. You'd think in this day and age, they'd at least make an attempt to portray IF in somewhat realistic terms. But, I guess that's too much to ask, huh?

    *ICLW*

    ReplyDelete
  11. All this time and I never knew...I'm supposed to get some chicklet to go to bed with my husband, so he can father a child. Why has my RE not mentioned this?? Guess I didn't get the memo.

    Infertility plotlines like this make me so mad. I'm sure next week, they will adopt (easily and overnight), and then find out that the woman is pregnant and everything is fine. Who writes this stuff??? (ICLW)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG...that is so absurd! I mean, I know soaps are the model of reality and all, but they couldn't try to make it just a little out there?!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the things I have a really hard time with, the perception of IF: We used donor sperm (azoo dx) and there are two movies coming up highlighting women (J lo and Jen anniston) who are desperate to have a kid and use DS. I can hardly wait for the back lash on this one.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do "they" not get how widespread this is?? Do "they" not care?? "They" put all this useless info out, and someone, somewhere actually believes that shit!!!!!
    Ignorance!!!
    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the tone of this post- it feels like you went into my brain and pulled out all the babble that goes on. This was my favorite: Barren Women have no children and must lose the love of their life to women who have a working apparatus?

    That is sooooo soap opera. And working apparatus? Who needs it?
    Signed: a proud mama through adoption
    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  16. How irritating. I can't watch medical shows for this reason either. I work in a hospital and I actually have people ask me (patients and employees) if I've seen Grey's Anatomy. My stock answer is no, because I live it. Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LMAO Interesting. But it's not new.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crazy.....just like life.

    Been reading your blog today, lovin' it!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh of course. insult to injury! salt and maybe some lemon juice in the wound! don't these people research anything?!? arg.

    please tell what show it was so i can boycott them, their broadcast channel, their studio, their advertisers!! gah!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know why I immediately thought of Bold and the Beautiful (I don't even watch that show).

    Everytime I see a show with a plot like this I just change the channels. Argh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.