Okay, I really had to browse through several pictures stored on my PC to finalize this one for this week's Show and Tell. I had left 'Fear of Flying' half-read when I left for the February trip. And I completed it only once I got back. From the trip, I brough back a black stone - shiv ling for myself. The stone looks like an egg really, absolutely smooth and does not roll around even though it appears to be so. Anyways, on a quirk I placed the stone on the front cover of Erica Jong's Fear of Flying. I wonder if this will get categorized into blasphemy, but I was looking at the common connect here. You see, Shiva is represented as the human phallus, and Jong's book was on sexual expression. So I present to you the photograph.

You can read everybody's classwork at Mel's. I will leave you with another detail - as to why Shiva is represented by the Ling. The story goes like this:
A great sage Bhrigu once went to visit Shiva in his abode to discuss some matter of great importance. At that point of time, Shiva and his consort Parvati were making love and hence, it took Shiva some time before he came out. The sage was upset because he was made to wait and when Shiva came out (Parvati was with him), he told that since there was such fondness for that act in Shiva, he will come to be represented by the phallus.
Enough for this week!
^WiseGuy^

You can read everybody's classwork at Mel's. I will leave you with another detail - as to why Shiva is represented by the Ling. The story goes like this:
A great sage Bhrigu once went to visit Shiva in his abode to discuss some matter of great importance. At that point of time, Shiva and his consort Parvati were making love and hence, it took Shiva some time before he came out. The sage was upset because he was made to wait and when Shiva came out (Parvati was with him), he told that since there was such fondness for that act in Shiva, he will come to be represented by the phallus.
Enough for this week!
^WiseGuy^
I love your S & T for the week. I've picked up that book around but haven't read it... you recommend I am guessing?
ReplyDeleteI found a little stone at one of my favorite shops when we started all this IVF insanity that says "hope" on it. I look at it each day, try to live up to it and wonder secretly if I can smuggle it into egg retrieval in my sock.
Carrie :)
You always have interesting little stories to tell. I've heard of the book but didn't know what it was about. Guess there's another one to add to the ever expanding list.
ReplyDeleteAs for the catering... it's not the cost of the food that'd be the issue, it would be the shipping. ;)
That stone is beautiful! I want to touch it and feel it's smoothness. Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteVery cool show and tell! That stone just begs to be fondled (hehehehe).
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool stone!
ReplyDeleteI have one that I carry around when I'm stressed...I like to think that it absorbs my negative energy. ;)
I love the stone-egg too.
ReplyDeleteHuh, that's really interesting.
ReplyDeletewhat a cool ling, its so much more smooth than the usual shape the ling has.
ReplyDeleteI actually have a picture of parvati praying to a shiv ling with a picture of shiva looking down at her from the sky/heaven/whatever - on the wall near our bed. what a joke, eh, hasn't worked thus far!!