Skip to main content

Show and Tell: Firsts

This time around I am going to introduce you to two firsts of my life. Very little of the music that I heard as a child was English music. In fact, it was only when I was at the threshold of teenage that English music entered my life with all its force.

The first video that I am going to share with you is one which I watched on MTV and rather than cruising ahead, stopped to wonder – Who is this? The video is – Come Undone by Duran Duran.



The second first is the one that I played on a jukebox for the first time. The jukebox is located in CafĂ© Mondegar in Mumbai. The song is Michael Jackson’s They don’t really care about us.



Everybody else is doing there thing here!


^WiseGuy^

Comments

  1. Oddly, though I grew up in Canada, I never heard '80s pop and rock until I met my DH 12 years ago! (Except for Bon Jovi...*salivates*)

    Do like Michael Jackson, and wouldn't have minded scoring tickets to his upcoming shows!

    Thanks, that was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOVED the Duran Duran song when it came out! I was in college and in a dance troupe at the time, and my favorite dance was to that song!

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is such a powerful part of adolescence! Come to think of it, it is such a powerful part of life, and adolescence is just such a powerful time, that the two together are somewhat overwhelming. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music and memory are so conncted. Just last night I felt like I was in a time warp. I work in a resturant and the kitchen crew was blasting 80's rock. Every time I walked in I felt like I was back at a high school dance waiting to be asked onto the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *drool* I LOVE Duran Duran. I played that cassette, yes, cassette tape over and over AND over again. Pretty sure I just dated myself..oh well..I'm old! Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhh, Duran Duran . . . **sigh** :0)

    Michael Jackson - fascinated by and oddly repulsed by at the same time.

    Thanks for some fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the look back in time...

    Duran Duran *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who grew up with English music, it is cool hearing about how it came into your life at a later time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how just a note or two can transport you. I love Michael Jackson's music, just have a hard time with the person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww thanks for sharing your first's my first album was Michael Jackson too Thriller

    Ali xX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see a theme here - my first cassette tape was Michale Jackson's Thriller. I never really paid attention to Duran Duran when they were big - somehow I missed them as a phenomenon, yet I can still sing many of their songs....odd.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.