Skip to main content

Show and Tell: A Book to Remember




This week I want to share with you one of the most memorable books I have ever read – Mrityunjaya by Shivaji Sawant.

I enjoy reading a lot. And the fact that I still remember how riveting this one was makes it so special for me. I read this book sometime in 2003. The book was bulky (of which I am not scared), but I realized that none of the pages were ‘wasted’ or dispensable.

Mrityunjaya is the story of Karna – the great warrior from Mahabharata. In his archery skills, he was the only match for Arjuna (perhaps even better). Karna was born to Kunti before she was married. Even though his genesis was from a divine blessing (he was the son of Sun God - Surya), Karna spent his life bearing the stigma of having a low-caste birth (he was adopted by a charioteer family and remained ignorant about the identity about his actual parents until the fag end of his life). Kunti spent her life loaded under the guilt of her desertion of the newborn and inwardly singed by the taunts heaped on Karna by his real brothers and Draupadi.

Karna is an epitome of passion, commitment, courage and selfless giving.

The book shows Karna in a light that brings out the gross injustice he faced and how he survived all of it. Even though Krishna gave Karna a chance to join the side of Pandavas in the epic war, Karna stood by Duryodhana (eldest of the Kauravas and a dear friend to him). This book also reveals the cunningness in Krishna and how he was able to organize everything in favour of the Pandavas and how he intervened only when he desperately needed to. Karna was duped into giving up the protective armour he was born with (which made him invincible), when Krishna appeared at his door disguised as a needy Brahmin.

The book is a feast. It has flowery language, which does not overwhelm but only adds to the vividness of the description. It reveals intimate details about its central character as if Shivaji Sawant was there to witness Karna in life. Karna - his love for Vrushali and her sati on his funeral pyre; Kunti’s lone presence at the end of his cremation and her anguish at not having been able to rear him as a son; how Duryodhana cultivated him as a friend with an ulterior motive of having a formidable opposition to the rival Pandavas and Karna’s rock-steady loyalty even with that covert knowledge… You have to read it to know it!

I hope you liked going through this week’s Show and Tell. Have any of you read this book? Do try if you have not.

BackYoBack!


Show and Tell





^Wiseguy^

Comments

  1. Is the book also in Hindi? Did you read it in Hindi? And won't I be embarrassed if that turned out to be Urdu...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same thing as Lollipop, Hindu? Curious. It sounds interesting, I may just look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fascinating. With elements of the stories of Moses, Ares and Jesus all in one.

    I have not read it, but have enjoyed some modern Indian lit: A Fine Balance and The Death of Vishnu, both which I would also recommend.

    You've added something to my reading queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Can't say I've read the book, but looks interesting. :)

    And, ryc, what, you don't like getting up before the sun does? ;-)

    Must try it at least once! It is very awesome to see. :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Should Have Known

...On the night of 19th when my breasts became hard and sore to touch, the nurses brought me hot water bottles rather than my baby. I should have known. ...Birdman was apparently away to Very Big City with our baby. Every SMS update sent to me about her after 16th Jan was fake. I was a donkey eating at his trough. I should have known. ...Visitors who came to see me in the hospital did not look me straight in the eye. I should have known. ...My mother sounded reluctant every time I asked her on a timeline on when my stitches would be cut and I could travel to Very Big City. I should have known. ...I grieved at how many pricks and tubes were affixed to my little baby while she lay cold and unfeeling at the bottom of an earth pit fatigued from all the effort she put into staying alive. I should have known. ...Family dropped clues on how oxygen deprivation could affect the brain. I spelt it out for them. I told them that Lola was my daughter even if she came out r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d from the o...

Season...

With very limited time and access to the netz, I just want to declare that Lady Season is here. She arrived last Wednesday, and I will someday in future speak of how due to SuperPed's preparedness a crisis was averted. I tend to have firework endings. Her with me, and my first chance of mothering is like a spray of cold water on my face. I am very sleep deprived. Apparently, wise birds said to me that I should sleep when the girl sleeps, but so far my body schedule and kid's schedule are haywire. I hope to be better adapted to this soon. It is tough for me to find net time as of now, and there are a couple of things I want to post online, since CBub's dates also passed by recently, but so far it does not seem to be happening. And I just want to say thanks. Even though I am craptastic at responding, I am reading off and on as I can manage.